Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Incredible new wind energy harvesting technology... very convincing

Incredible new wind energy harvesting technology... very convincing

I think that is great it, but I wonder if it will go into some type of production or if it will get squashed by the major power industries. wind power has been around for years and now they are finally trying to harness it by the use of turbine. Why must we wait to be ECO friendly, we should have been doing this for decades.

While I agree that this technology is very creative, I have never thought of wind power as very practical on a mass scale. I imagine this tech. would still require a lot of surface area and massive 80ft. towers. Thousands of wind towers all over the landscape, even possibly clearing acres of trees that block the wind flow.

The environmental impact is tremendous, and they're ugly. For single use on farms and such, this may be practical.

Imagine how beautiful and serene this scene would be without the wind towers.

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    While I agree that this technology is very creative, I have never thought of wind power as very practical on a mass scale. I imagine this tech. would still require a lot of surface area and massive 80ft. towers. Thousands of wind towers all over the landscape, even possibly clearing acres of trees that block the wind flow.

The environmental impact is tremendous, and they're ugly. For single use on farms and such, this may be practical.

Get the mills out where the wind is;

Here is a cool clip (click the first);

See video about the Hywind Hydro concept:

Hywind - high broadbandHywind - low broadbandHywind - Modem/ISDN

Simply outstanding. A KISS solution that can change the world.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

I agree with ala about the environmental impact of wind farms in comparison to the amount of electricity generated, while not totally against them I think are far better alternatives. Heres an idea by an inventor that produces enough electricity for the average household by placing small relatively inexpensive wind turbines on the roof, they appear to require only relatively low wind speeds to operate effectively.
    http://www.metaefficient.com/renewab...australia.html
    Place a few of these on the roof, buy an electric car and your individual carbon footprint is vastly reduced.

I´d buy 4 or 5 of those wind turbines right away.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Mike, I will too. I cant think of anything better than to be independent of the oil companies. The government here is subsidising alternative energy sources for households which I think is a very good thing. They will also through subsidy schemes pay the total cost of LPG vehicle conversions for non businesses.

I like solar power. Like wind power, solar power is not continuous; they both are dependent on availability of the wind or sun. But solar has less impact. Consider the new solar roof film tech. or panels on every home creating a decentralized grid supplementing the main power grid. In places like Florida where the highest energy use is during the day when the sun is brightest, it is a natural--no moving parts, no emissions. Little impact to the environment--they even look good, similar to a metal roof.

Quote Originally Posted by ala

Ala,

Let me try to address your comment from two perspectives.

First, if the choice is between not having that scene at all or the scene with wind towers, I think that I would prefer the latter. Fortunately, we probably don't have to make that choice. The wind towers can be placed in less desirable spots. For example, Chicago is known as the "windy city". Wouldn't it be nice to capture that wind and use that energy.

Second, I like this idea of having a vibrating tape approach to capturing the energy. Such a device can be placed vertically in a pole or tower. Imagine putting a wind collector into all the telephone and power towers in windy areas, all contributing to the grid of electricity. After all the towers are there already and therefore should not be any more unsightly than what we already have.

Wise.

this is why this particularly technology that gets away from the turbine will solve the problem that you are referring to.