Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most accessible chain lodging in US, pls help!

Most accessible chain lodging in US, pls help!

I hope we can start a list of what motel/hotel chains consistently offer truly accessible rooms. Your injury level and the modifications you require in a room would be helpful information. Can you help? Jump in!

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    I hope we can start a list of what motel/hotel chains consistently offer truly accessible rooms. Your injury level and the modifications you require in a room would be helpful information. Can you help? Jump in!
    I am pretty sure that all of Hilton's line including:

Conrad Hotels
    Doubletree
    Embassy Suites Hotels
    Hampton Inn and Hampton Inns & Suites
    Hilton Hotels
    Hilton Garden Inn
    Homewood Suites by Hilton

Are accessible meaning offering at least 2-4 barrier free rooms w/roll in showers
    And the truth shall set you free.

Great topic!

One accommodation I have yet to find is an accessible room with two beds. An adjoining room is supposed to be made available, but most hotels do not know this, or even have an accessible room with an adjoining room.

T6/7 inc

We have had an accessible suite with a sofa bed in the living area in addition to a king bed in the bedroom, plus a roll-in shower at Embassy Suites. We have had an accessible room with two double beds at the Crown Plaza in San Diego. They are hard to find, but we have also had a Courtyard by Marriott with adjoining rooms...one was a suite with kitchen and fully accessible bath, the other room just a regular bath and bedroom. Unfortunately it had platform beds.

We have had some success with some Holiday Inns too.

(KLD)

A great destination hotel is the Marriott on Maui- they have accessible pools, and access to the oceanside (I mean all the way to the water!).

Holiday Inn's are being renovated and most all have the handicap rooms have king beds and some roll in showers. (All are supposed to have a connecting room with 2 beds free of charge)...Many folks do not know the Holiday Inn standards and many front desk clerks making the reservations do not even know the "standards" rule of the connecting rooms being free of charge. It is my recommendation that you put in a call to the manager of the hotel you are interested in. Specifically tell the manager what it is you will need for your accommodation and ask if the adjoining room will be included for your caregivers (family) free of charge according to the Holiday Inn standard. If you do not receive satisfactory information, you can call the Holiday Inn Guest Relations. They will also assist you with your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY
    Holiday Inn's are being renovated and most all have the handicap rooms have king beds and some roll in showers. (All are supposed to have a connecting room with 2 beds free of charge)...Many folks do not know the Holiday Inn standards and many front desk clerks making the reservations do not even know the "standards" rule of the connecting rooms being free of charge. It is my recommendation that you put in a call to the manager of the hotel you are interested in. Specifically tell the manager what it is you will need for your accommodation and ask if the adjoining room will be included for your caregivers (family) free of charge according to the Holiday Inn standard. If you do not receive satisfactory information, you can call the Holiday Inn Guest Relations. They will also assist you with your needs.
    Grammy,

That is totally helpful and something I did not know, but then again you are a hotel front desk manager.

Any port in a storm. One night along I95 in Georgia, all I could find was a Motel Six. It had the most useful, logical handicapped accessible room layout I ever rented. This includes the many luxury hotels I have visited. This was the one and only experience I have with this chain, so YMMV.

In every other aspect, the room was pretty bare-bones. But I left feeling I got more than I paid for, a rare experience in the modern world.

FWIW - I find Comfort Inns to be a good value when you're just looking for a place to sleep for a night. Longer stays or pleasure travel, I like to move up to something a little more plush.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 10-14-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Joe is right about the Hilton chain...For the most part they are universally accessible...I ALWAYS travel with someone else, and we need two beds. Embassy Suites is without fail going to have an accessible room(suite, afterall that's what they are) with 2 beds.
    And most of the rest of the Hilton hotels have accessible rooms with 2 beds...Almost NO-ONE else regularly offers accessible rooms with 2 beds...Most hotels have accessible rooms with just one bed...Sorry, that doesn't work...

Microtel Inn/Microtel Inn & Suites have been the new exception. For the most part they have had completely accessible rooms with 2 beds, and a roll in shower. They also have a window seat/bench that could be used for a child or lightweight adult if you don't want to pay for a rollaway.

Holiday Inn EXPRESS hotels are decent, but regular Holiday Inn are hit & miss. The EXPRESS hotels are newer and seem to have different standards than the regular Holiday Inn's. They always seem to have much more accessible rooms and are more willing to work with you to find what you need.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Microtel in Philly by the airport
    2 beds (nello was quite happy w/ his own....shhhhhh)
    Cheap @ 79.00 a night

Heat/ac wasn't accessible but that's what boyfriends are for

great roll-in shower
    hair dryer and mirror are out of the way but.....shower was great!!
    also service dog greeted with no questions!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.