Thread: SCI Nurse---MethylPrednisolone for pain?

SCI Nurse---MethylPrednisolone for pain?

Last week I was put on Medron, which is methylprednisolone for six days in a dose that starts high and then titrates down as the week wears on. The first thing I noticed was extreme insomnia. Laying there watching the minutes turn on the digital clock and NO sleep for three days. By about day three I thought that I was actually getting some relief in my shoulders and arms and that this just might be working. By day four the dose level/24 hours had dropped considerably, and the pain started to return, although not back to baseline yet. I finished the last pill yesterday, and my shoulder's/hands are killing me again. I was also given Morpheine Contin to take after the steroids were finished. Two long acting 30 mg tabs 2/day, and short acting 15mg tabs as a prn. All this is making me a bit worried as I don't want to get hooked on anything, but I also seem to have hit a wall in terms of how much pain I can deal with. So, my question is should the steroids have had a longer acting affect? It doesn't seem like to great a cost/benefit ratio to have relief for only about 48 hours. How hyper to I need to be about taking the morphine contin? Thank you.

i cannot say too much about the MS,but i DO have alot of experience with that medrol dosepack thing.the relief you described is about the way i get it too from this stuff.the day i start,i get nothing but day two and three are usually pretty good(this is for my RSD knee)then it starts to get ugly again as i taper off.i can usually get about two real good days then it hits the fan again.don't know if its worth the effort unless i want to go somewhere and have the lowest pain possible,i would take it and have the two good days fall on the day of the event i wanted to attend,you know what i mean?other than that,i really have found no real lasting benefits from it.sorry things didn't get better for you.Marcia

I've had many experiences with the Morphine Sulphate Continus (MST).

If you suffer from pretty bad pain you should give them a try....trust me, there isn't a great deal out there better (in tablet form anyways)

If your worried about 'getting hooked', take them for a fortnight and then have 2 -3 days off them. If you feel with-drawn then you'll know wether or not you want to continue.

If you don't, may I recommend you try something a little 'weaker' like tramadol or dihydrocodiene?

All the best.
    C-5 incomplete , walking with crutches. In controlled pain. Respect to all SCI people.

Hi Marcia and Jonny,
    Thank you so much for your responses. I am glad (well, sort of) to know that I am not some sort of weirdo for whom the Medrol only worked for a couple of days. It is good feedback, as now I can tell my GP that it is not just me who experienced such short acting relief. I agree with you Marcia that it isn't really worth the effort unless there is something very special I need to attend. Jonny, thanks for the med tip, and I like the idea of trying it and then coming off of it after a couple of weeks to test the "hooked" factor. Of course, if it offers enough relief I may not even care. I had been taking ultram, but it pretty much lost its effectiveness for me a couple of months ago (after taking it for a few years). Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    ......if it offers enough relief I may not even care. I had been taking ultram, but it pretty much lost its effectiveness for me a couple of months ago (after taking it for a few years). Thanks again.
    Your right there.....Does it really matter about being dependent on a med?
    Chances are most of us will be on them most our lifes anyway.
    And the Ultram (Tramadol) does lose its effectivness after a while, thats when you need the stronger ones such as Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Methadone, Morphine etc.

Nice to meet you too.
    All the best.
    C-5 incomplete , walking with crutches. In controlled pain. Respect to all SCI people.