Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technical issues

Technical issues

OK, Im having some issues. Is Vista really a bad OS? My new computer is having some glitches like, the wireless mouse and keyboard wont hold a connection w/bluetooth(if I leave the comp for like 20-30 minutes and come back i will loose the connection), the computer doesnt go to sleep instead it turns off, router strength is weak which is making the computer slow. I called a computer tech to come and set me up, but he cant make it for 2 weeks which is to long to wait. He wants to set me up w/a new router, uninstall vista, load XP, new wireless air card. WTF, I just bought all of this.

OK, so here is my current system,

Computer = Dell Optiplex 745

Router= Linksys WRT150N

Air card = WUSB54GC Compact wireless USB Adapter

Mouse and keyboard = Bundle deal made by Dell for the Optiplex

Why am I these issues w/a new system?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

No, Vista isn't that bad. It seems to me its alot of misconfiguration for the bluetooth and definately the sleep.

Sleep should be in the power controls, XP had this as well.
    Bluetooth, I don't use or know sorry, but It should be a setting as you can hack a computer through a open bluetooth connection.

Call Dell and not a local tech. Dell should help free.

The router doesn't care which OS is used, but the NIC Might and will. Just make sure the firmware on the routers upto date.
    According the the Linksys forum, you need to d/l the driver first then plug in the WUSB54GC .

You're getting issues as you changed OS's and it's all new. Vista is tempermental...

Have fun and keep asking.

Vista is a memory hog, keep that in mind. I agree with talking to Dell directly, your basic warranty should make the call free.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Thanks you two. Gonna work on it tonight, ill post tomorrow about what happens.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Its working, I guess it just took a couple days to configure. I never went and touched it, now it is working fine(alittle slow, but working)

My Myspace

Odd, I've heard of Dell having odd factory setups.

As mentioned Vistas a RAM hog. As with any system, try removing all the unnessessaries, things that just don't need to be there.

I'm totally ignorant of Vista, so Bob might be able to help trim it up.

I'm curious though... Why the Optiplex? they are usually the Buisness systems, and abit more pricey.

The Optiplex is small business, because of the contract w/the state this was what was ordered for me. Patonb, do you know of a good forum or support site specifically for tech issues? I need assistance w/transferring software and music to my new comp through my router.

My Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs
    The Optiplex is small business, because of the contract w/the state this was what was ordered for me. Patonb, do you know of a good forum or support site specifically for tech issues? I need assistance w/transferring software and music to my new comp through my router.

I use www.Tech-forums.net/pc

But it's really easy for music, Software isn't quite possible, unless it's just the setup software.

1) Do you have the 2 computers networked together? ..Use the setup wizards for both, then read this
    2) Make sure the folders are shared, and then "Copy/Paste" to transfer.

quite the headache.

My Myspace

vistas garbage imho, its a buggy xp with a new interface

i'll be on xp until it isn't supported