Thread: Matsunaga Max Pleasure Synergy

Matsunaga Max Pleasure Synergy

Hi All,

I am Peter Tan from Malaysia, SCI C-5/C-6 incomplete since October 1984. Recently, I got the Matsunaga Max Pleasure Synergy folding chair from Japan customised to my proportions as I am a rather tall person by Asian standards. I am 5' 11".

Here are the specs: 16"X17", 19" front STF, 16" back STF, 16" backrest with tension-adjustable velcro straps" wheels, 4" caster, 1" tab pushrims and a 1" gel cushion which is doing doing its job very well.

It came with fixed sideguards that were removed as I had problems dressing up. The original camber was 2 degrees. It is now 0 degree because the wheelchair was too wide for the toilet. Even with 0 degree the overall width from pushrim to pushrim is 26.5".

I travel regularly and I am afraid that it may not fit through some hotel toilet entrances which can be as narrow as 27". The dealer has suggested reducing the seat width to 15". This wheelchair is rather wide due to its design - the seat is not sitting on top of the frame but is inside the main frame.

I appreciate comments on this. Thank you.
    Last edited by petertan; 10-12-2007 at 02:54 AM.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Peter,

That is certainly an interesting frame design. Many folding frame chairs sold here in the US also use inboard mounted seat rails, but the frame rails run directly beside them. On such chairs, seat width is measured from the outside of the frame rails (a). Is the seat width on your chair measured from the outside edges of the inboard seat rails (b)? If that is the case, then your chair would have a seat width of 18", but only ~16" is currently usable.

There might be a couple of approaches to make the overall width narrower.

In it's current configuration, the only option I see would be to mount your pushrims in the inside hole. That would shave 1.5" off of the width.

If you are able to sit a little higher, going with a 2" narrower crossbrace and using a 16x17 Jay J2 cushion which has had the base notched so that is fits over the frame rails might be a possibility. If this is possible, the overall width would be 2" less than your current configuration since distance "a" would become your seat width. It is unclear from the side view how much of a discrepancy exists between the seat and frame rails at the back of the seat, and you would need to be make sure any difference would not cause excess pressure.

While it may give the chair a more-aggressive look, do you see any advantage of having the frame rail higher than the seat rail? I would think that wheelchairs designed for use in your part of the world would place a high priority on having a small footprint to minimize accessibility issues. Then again, many engineers here designing wheelchairs are not end users themselves. As a result, some models sold here can be less than user friendly.

This is a pic of a TiLite TX showing the lock in side by side seat and frame rails. The 17" seat width is distance between the the outside of the frame rails (not the upholstery).

SCI_OTR,

Thank you for having a look at the wheelchair and commenting on it.

Interestingly, the seat width was measured from the inside of the side guard to the other, not the seat itself. According to that measurement, the width is 17" but my seat by itself is 16" which is (b) in your diagram. The width is 19” measured from the outside of the frame rail. The front edge of the seat is 1” lower than the front frame rails meaning the seat and the frame rails are not level (image attached). Will that pose any problem for the Jay2 cushion? Very confusing huh!

How do I mount the pushrims to the inside hole? The pushrim tabs are 20mm in length and are welded on. I have to order another pair from the manufacturer if I want them shortened. This seems a more viable option if the price of the new pushrims is reasonable.

The dealer said that changing to a 15” seat crossbrace would cost more than US$150 excluding shipping. On top of that with a narrower seat, I have to change the back cushion and the one piece footplate. All in, that will cost more than US$400. I would rather spend that money on another chair because the modifications may pose other unforeseen problems.

Just yesterday, I could not get through the barbershop’s door with this new chair. It was not only frustrating but I foresee that my mobility will be impeded in some ways. It was my mistake for assuming that a chair with a 16” seat would have an overall width of around 24”. Thank you again for your insightful analysis and comments.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/