Thread: Study: Stored Blood Lacks

Study: Stored Blood Lacks

Interesting ... how many of us have received blood over the years? I know I have!

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/10/10/stored-blood.html

Stored blood lacks oxygen-delivering ability: study

Last Updated: Thursday, October 11, 2007 | 9:21 AM ET The Associated Press

Much of the stored blood given to millions of people every year may lack a component vital to delivering oxygen to tissues.

Nitric oxide, which helps keep blood vessels open, begins breaking down as soon as blood goes into storage, two research teams report in separate studies in this week's online edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

In recent years, doctors have become increasingly concerned about levels of heart attack and stroke in patients receiving transfusions. The new findings may help explain the problem.

"It doesn't matter how much oxygen is being carried by red blood cells, it cannot get to the tissues that need it without nitric oxide," said Dr. Jonathan Stamler of Duke University, leader of one of the research groups.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Lynnifer,

Something about this study does not make sense. Nitric oxide is indeed a vasodilator and helps blood get into tissue. However, when on transfuses a unit or two or two of stored blood into the bloodstream of any individual, there it comprises only 5-10% of the bodies blood and should not have a substantial lowering of the nitric oxide levels in the blood. Nitric oxide is indeed volatile and is made. So, I doubt that this is a major reason for heart attacks after transfusions. If this is something that doctors are worried about, they can easily give some nitroglycerin which increases nitric oxide levels.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Interesting ... how many of us have received blood over the years? I know I have!

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/10/10/stored-blood.html

Stored blood lacks oxygen-delivering ability: study

Last Updated: Thursday, October 11, 2007 | 9:21 AM ET The Associated Press

Much of the stored blood given to millions of people every year may lack a component vital to delivering oxygen to tissues.

Nitric oxide, which helps keep blood vessels open, begins breaking down as soon as blood goes into storage, two research teams report in separate studies in this week's online edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

In recent years, doctors have become increasingly concerned about levels of heart attack and stroke in patients receiving transfusions. The new findings may help explain the problem.

"It doesn't matter how much oxygen is being carried by red blood cells, it cannot get to the tissues that need it without nitric oxide," said Dr. Jonathan Stamler of Duke University, leader of one of the research groups.

Jennifer,

I tend to believe these incidents are happening to already unhealthy individuals receiving transfusions. Many of these people may already be at risk for heart attack.