Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another flying question

Another flying question

I've flown many times before with no problems, but this time can only get a connecting flight from Cincinnati to Lexington KY on a small jet. On Delta, using Canadair, and Embraer 50 passenger size. My question is how do they load passengers on this size? Do they use the "tunnel-ramps" (what are those things called?) that connect to the plane, or stairs? I did call Delta and the lady in India could only tell me that they had equipment to get me onboard but she didn't know what. I have seen pictures of the interior but that doesn't help much. Any ideas who to call to get a more definative answer?

If there's no jetway (if there are stairs in boarding) then they should get you a lift. You'll still need to transfer into aisle chair though. In San Jose boarding and deplaning requires going down a set of stairs. They have a lift if you're not able to negotiate stairs.
    Daniel

How small of a jet? I believe that with less than 30 seats it is nearly impossible to get you on board, and an aisle chair will not work. We have even had a problem with larger planes than this that would not accomodate an aisle chair, with or without a jetway. Most airlines will not carry you aboard manually (and do you want to risk this???).

(KLD)

You can call the airport(s) directly as it could be different in one versus the other. Most likely Cincinnati will have a jetway as it is a large airport. Lexington, I don't know. Dan is correct however that if they don't have jetways that they have stair elevators to get you onto the planes. Don't get to overly concerned however, even small planes(puddle jumpers as I call 'em) can be easy to get on/off of. Sometimes they're even easier than the jumbo jets if you're in the entry row. The staff has ALWAYS been extra helpful and polite. Definately talk to the airline AND airports ahead of time and let them know what you need. They will be able to have everything in order before you get there. Delta is based in Atlanta, you could call their HQ there if you don't get anywhere with the airports or the customer service numbers...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Thanks for the suggestions and answers. I will try to get a US phone # for Delta , for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    How small of a jet? I believe that with less than 30 seats it is nearly impossible to get you on board, and an aisle chair will not work.
    That's not true. I've been on jets that small. At airports that don't have jetways or stair lifts, they've taken me out onto the tarmac, I've transferred into an aisle chair and then two men carried the chair up the stairs into the plane. Yes, it's a bit nervewracking to put yourself into strangers hands like that, but I've found that a bit of friendly conversation before the process begins tends to put the guys on my side and make them even more careful than they were trained to be. At no time have I ever felt myself endangered.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    small planes(puddle jumpers as I call 'em)
    That or "Buddy Holly airplanes".

C.

I've done this many times and been wheeled out onto the tarmac, where I transfer into an aisle chair that is then wheeled into a box contraption that is really a lift. Whoosh, right up to the plane, and they often give you the first seat just to make it easier. I resisted small planes for a long time, but now that I have been doing it fairly often I have come to think of it as easier than the large planes. You gets lots of individual attention, you definitely beat everyone else onto the plane, and you can ever watch to make sure your chair gets put in cargo.

Thanks again for the info. I knew all those methods were available, but feel reassured hearing your personal experiences. I hope to fly back to Kentucky for Thanksgiving and a family reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    That's not true. I've been on jets that small. At airports that don't have jetways or stair lifts, they've taken me out onto the tarmac, I've transferred into an aisle chair and then two men carried the chair up the stairs into the plane. Yes, it's a bit nervewracking to put yourself into strangers hands like that, but I've found that a bit of friendly conversation before the process begins tends to put the guys on my side and make them even more careful than they were trained to be. At no time have I ever felt myself endangered.

C.
    This has been my experience also.

Bear in mind that the people lifting you in and out of the plane are often times a separate company that is contracted by the airport itself, not the airline. In Pittsburgh for example this is the case and they're absolutely horrible. The captain notifies this company about 20 minutes before we arrive and they're still 20 minutes late getting to the aircraft!! The crew is fuming and apologizing to me profusely. They can't leave the aircraft till I'm off the plane so they're being held up also. Sometimes it's just completely out of everyone's hands and you're stuck with what shows up.

This reminds me I need to write a letter to the airport complaining about them...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson