Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: caregiver tasks/contract

caregiver tasks/contract

My insurance company is screwing me by not giving to my caregivers, saying they do not do enough and my level of care, T10 para, does not require intensive care. Baloney! In fact my caregives bust their tails and do a myriad of tasks!

I need a sample contract for caregivers which list tasks they perform. I know that these are included in Gary Ulicing's (and others) "A Step by Step Guide to Training and Mangaging Attendants", which has about a five-page form for this but I can't afford to buy the book. Do you have any other suggestions? Can you help me?

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe
    My insurance company is screwing me by not giving to my caregivers, saying they do not do enough and my level of care, T10 para, does not require intensive care. Baloney! In fact my caregives bust their tails and do a myriad of tasks!

I need a sample contract for caregivers which list tasks they perform. I know that these are included in Gary Ulicing's (and others) "A Step by Step Guide to Training and Mangaging Attendants", which has about a five-page form for this but I can't afford to buy the book. Do you have any other suggestions? Can you help me?
    What do attendants specifically do for you when they are there? How recently injured?

You're a T-10. What do PCAs do for you? How long injured?

Are you elderly? Have other injuries or disabilities other than your SCI? I tend to agree with your insurance company. I know few people with a T10 injury who need "intensive care" (if you mean by this 24 hour a day attendant care), in fact most need none at all and are totally independent with their own care. Just wondering what makes this different for you? What do you prefer to have done and give to an attendant to do??

(KLD)

I suspect what you are looking for is in this pdf. But at 65 pages, I didn;t read through the whole thing. It is from www.rtcil.org

I am t7-8 myself, and am curious as to why you need a pca? I assume you must have other issues? If not, your insurance company is probably right in their opinion. Sorry, I know that isn;t the answer you were looking for.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

at T10 you need a caregiver?? and expect insurance to pay?? i'm missing something here.

Hello Scribe,

What's the name of the insurance company that you believe is screwing you?

Is there a full length book from which THIS FREE 65 PAGE PDF DOC is excerpted from and that you're referring to? SJean423 linked to it also. I can't find it on the Internet.

As a T-10 paraplegic, which of the below "Needs" do you expect your insurance company to pay a caregiver to perform for you?

Quote Originally Posted by A Step-by-Step Guide to Training and Managing Personal Assistants:
    Consumer Guide.

Gary R. Ulicny
    Amy B. Adler
    Sara E. Kennedy
    Michael L. Jones

Needs Assessment:

Bathing
    Dressing
    Grooming
    a. Shaving
    b. Hair styling
    c. Applying Makeup

Housekeeping
    a. Daily
    b. Weekly
    c. Monthly

Medications
    Range of motion exercises

Eating
    a. Shopping
    b. Meal preparation
    c. Clean up

Toileting
    Bowel program
    Bladder program

Other
    Transfers
    Bed to wheelchair
    Hoyer lift
    Sliding board

Other
    Wheelchair maintenance
    Miscellaneous
    Recreation
    Errands
    Pet or service animal care
    I'm a T-5 paraplegic and have been doing all of the above applicable MRADL (Mobility Related Activities of Daily Living) myself for the past 28 years. With the exception of paying out of pocket, as do able-bodied people, for my "Hair styling", "Shopping" and "Housekeeping" chores. The "Housekeeping" chores that I'm unable to do myself, I pay out of pocket for someone else to do them. I live alone in a house (I pay for my own lawn service/landscaping) and joyfully care for my dog.

Unless you have exceptional medical complications associated with your T-10 paraplegia which isn't mentioned in your post or enumerated in your Profile and that curtails your ability to perform your own MRADL, what you seem to want is a maid and a personal valet. Me too.

If you're gainfully employed as a "newspaper reporter" I assume you're a very active person who can certainly afford to buy a book. If for some reason you can't afford to pay for the book that you want, perhaps we here at CC can take up a collection for you. Or find you an affordable used copy of it.

What particular MRADL do you need aid with?

If your interests are "helping others", especially those in need of quality of life enhancements, there's the old adage of "Charity begins at home." And if another one of your special interests are "social justice issues", I'm sure you wouldn't want to take away from those truly in need of expensive caregiving services or contribute to the already outrageously expensive private healthcare policy premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Resource List

Private Resources:

Health Insurance
    Auto Insurance
    Worker's Compensation

Public Resources:

MediCaid (Department of Social and Health Services)
    Department of Vocational Rehabilitation
    Department of Veterans Affairs (if you are a veteran)
    Crime Victims Compensation
    Other State-funded programs

See Appendices 12 through 17
    Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

If you do not need skilled nursing, that may be why your insurance company is turning you down. Restrictions are getting tigher all the time. Hard to say without more details.

clarification

I didn't explain myself well at all. I am on workers' compensation insurance in which I fought to get caregiver assistance. That's because I have other serious issues — such as extreme pain and spasms — that often render me immobile. I have a hard time keeping caregivers because of the low wages and the requirement to pay taxes scares them away. I realize that many of you are more severely disabled than me. I am damn lucky to have workers compensation and don't have to deal with the financial problems and crap you guys put up with. My empathy for you is sincere and heartfelt.

Trust me: don't feel sorry for this insurance company. I am simply trying to get the caregivers a reasonable pay hike.

I am going to call the library and see if I can get the "Step by Step Guide To Training and Managing Personal Attendants" by Gary Ulicing and others.

I am going to call the library and see if I can get the "Step by Step Guide To Training and Managing Personal Attendants" by Gary Ulicing and others.
    Did you check the pdf that Bob and I linked? This appears to be what you are looking for. It does not seem to be available as a book. (Amazon, libraries, etc.) Even when I check his name as spelled Ulicney, Ulicny. Both which appear when googling the title. (WHen I get bored, I research something to death. lol)

Your first post didn't make it clear that you were looking to get higher pay for your caregivers, which are paid from workmans comp insurance. Thanks for the clarification.
    Last edited by sjean423; 10-12-2007 at 02:40 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005