Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KAFO vs. tone walking

Can you use the Bioness 300? Has anyone used it instead of the AFO? My daughter tried it, but there isn't a distributor at her clinic.

alpentalic,
    congrats, I also have issues with my toes I was using an afo brace due to the tone but it hindered my hip movement due to how big and bulky the thing is I don't have much strength in the hip so picking the thing up was a real bi***...I was finally told that I did not need to use it and it is alot easier to get the hip swing going..I am able to walk about 150 yards with the use of a quad cane before I am to tired...I can go alot farther pushing my chair, I think that is due to how I walk/ stagger I feel that I have better balance this way plus when I do get exhausted I have the chair right there to sit down on..
    I have noticed that I have a problem more now with hyper extention of my knee since I have had the pump put in...I am hoping to go back into theropy after I heal up some more..have to see what the doc. has to say though..

keep up the good fight!!

Quote Originally Posted by mom01
    Can you use the Bioness 300? Has anyone used it instead of the AFO? My daughter tried it, but there isn't a distributor at her clinic.
    My sister did a trial of the L300 and it really helped with her walking and dorsiflexion in her left leg. So she went for a PT session for the Bioness L300. Amber currently has the Empi e-stim unit and her PT told her she could do the same thing with the Empi and a heel switch (which she already has and esp because insurance probably wouldn't cover the L300). So we're planning on working w/ her Empi e-stim unit to try to get the same results.

I tried the bioness L300, and it didnt do anything for me. I had too much tone, and my knee went into hyperextention, and the foot everted, instead of a dorsi-flex. So basicaly, my leg was too weak to make use of the technology.