Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stage II Isch pressure sore

Smokey/T&C - thanks guys.

Kind of a bummer to think how careful I've got to be from here on out, I'm only <2yrs post. Got a long way to go, with less to work with. I cracked my sci Doc up, asked him why nobody made butt implants for us. I'd like a doubleD butt please.

I may have to investigate other types of cushions. Mainly tried the air types for weight considerations, but I'll push a little more weight for a cushier tush.

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

I went through 10 months of he** with a stage 4 on my left isch. Seems they are always on the left. These are nothing to screw around with.
    It started as a red spot then a little skin bleeding like a scrape then when the nurse went to change the dressing her finger poked through the skin like a rotten spot on a peach.
    Next thing am visiting a plastic surgeon and having surgery to cean out a stage 4 right to the bone.
    I got an alternating air mattress overlay. and was on bed rest with a KCI wound vac. 6 months of wound vac and the sore was small enough to do a skin flap. Then 2 more months of bed rest.
    Watch your feet since they started having red spots in the hospital.
    I also bought a new cushion an EASE alternatiing air pressure cushion for my chair and had one installed in my van seat.
    So I guess my butt is always on alternating air.
    2 months of working up seating time and I am back at work and sitting 10 -13 hours a day.
    I still do pressure reliefs but am happy with all of the cushions.

Originally posted by McDuff:

Smokey/T&C - thanks guys.

Kind of a bummer to think how careful I've got to be from here on out, I'm only <2yrs post. Got a long way to go, with less to work with. I cracked my sci Doc up, asked him why nobody made butt implants for us. I'd like a doubleD butt please.

I may have to investigate other types of cushions. Mainly tried the air types for weight considerations, but I'll push a little more weight for a cushier tush.

try supracor stimulite cushion line mcduff.....2yrs is very early on for butt problems

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

Originally posted by McDuff:

Well I went searching for this thread just to see how long its been. Damn, 2 months!

The sore is finally completely healed. Skin is still a little pink as it's still "babybutt new". What a long haul for something so small.

Of course I wasn't an ideal patient, wouldn't stay in bed all the time, my mental health couldn't take that. And still laid mainly on my back when in bed.

Got the pressure mapping done. My butt is definitely bonier than it was. My cushion now shows yellows and tiny spot of red, where it used to be all blues and greens. Got tested on a 4" Roho and it showed exactly the same(yes it was properly adjusted). Guess I just get to do a lot of pressure relief.

I am now a believer in the EAS protein shakes, they seemed to help a lot in healing. Going to continue drinking them.

One bad after affect, my left isch area now has an almost constant source of pain. Sometimes its just "there" and sometimes flames up to "blowtorch" level. Hope this is not permanent. Wonder if this is a neuropathic trick or what. Always had some "burning butt" syndrome but it's way worse now.

Long story short, watch your ass folks.

mcduff, you need total pressure relief at night...work on sleeping on your side.....eas rock, great stuff even w/out butt issues...keeps skin and meat healthy

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

Mcvic - nasty wound dude. Glad to here you have come thru it now. I had a wound vac on my leg for 6 mos for "clear to the bone" wound from my accident, can't imagine having one draining out my butt. But they do work wonders.

Fuente - will check out the supracor stuff when I look into other cushions. Yeah, I need to try more side sleeping, we just bought a new bed to get us back "together again". I've been in a hosp bed w/LAL matress and switching to select comfort(we waited 'til sore was healed) so I will have to be more careful when sleeping I'd imagine. But sure gonna be nice getting rid of an air pump noise 24/7.

On the issue of cushions, in the center where I work, we have been having wonderful successes with a new type of cushion called a "Ride Cushion."

This is a custom molded very firm foam cushion that actually suspends the butt bones in mid air.

This is their web site: http://www.ridedesigns.com/cushions.html

This is not a commercial endorsement but I have seen some great clinical successes with this product.

RAB

RAB - I have looked into the Ride cushion. Problem is I squirm a lot and still use a xfer board for some xfers. Neither of these are conducive for using this cushion is what I hear. Thanks for input though.