Thread: Question for dr. wise or nurse-re:best exercise equipment

Question for dr. wise or nurse-re:best exercise equipment

I want to get exercise equipment for rehab before and after stem cell treatment. What do you recommend is the best? I know that some is really pricey, but I can afford some of the higher end stuff. I have no idea what to look for and don't want to spend alot of money on something that won't do me much good. Obviously my ultimate goal is to walk again.

You should probably ask your peers here on this forum rather than us, but I would recommend the following if money is no issue:

FES bike
    Set of free weights
    Wheelchair accessible weight machine (yes they do make them)
    You could also consider a suspended gait system, but then you are talking REAL money.

(KLD)

Standing frame is a must. An Uppertone with extra weights should serve you good as well. Invest in a excercise hand cycle such as a Saratoga for home cardio and perhaps a good handbike for outdoor action. Remember to include range of motion and stretching into your routine. I use a bobath therapy table at home to take care of this, and it´s also good for getting dressed in a hurry as well.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Standing Frame... best investment in SCI health you can make.

Standing Frame anb fes bike

motomed

I've been using a motomed at the local community rec center and find it reaaly cool.
    Been using it all summer and have noticed my legs stop getting smaller and actually increase in muscle mass.
    Jeff
    Doh!

The RT300 is not at all cheap - upwards of 13K at best guess. Standing frames, BWS, Equalizers etc...all expensive by most standards...all real money.

A second consideration in the personal purchase of specialized medical equipment is the incredibly high non-compliance rate for many that are not intimately familiar with its use i.e. RT300, BWS. Perhaps a better recommendation "if money is no issue" would be to receive a physician's order to attend a rehabilitation program that utilizes this type of equipment.

Learning the safe and proper way to use specialized rehab equipment will get you further along down the road. Access to a licensed physical therapist with competence in such technology will prove highly beneficial to your post-procedure rehab. That therapist's ability to create a safe and therapeutically sound HEP could help you save much more than money.

Hey. Glad to see you post. I was wondering what happened to you. So you are going for the stem cell therapy. Where at? Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-SCI
    The RT300 is not at all cheap - upwards of 13K at best guess. Standing frames, BWS, Equalizers etc...all expensive by most standards...all real money.

A second consideration in the personal purchase of specialized medical equipment is the incredibly high non-compliance rate for many that are not intimately familiar with its use i.e. RT300, BWS. Perhaps a better recommendation "if money is no issue" would be to receive a physician's order to attend a rehabilitation program that utilizes this type of equipment.

Learning the safe and proper way to use specialized rehab equipment will get you further along down the road. Access to a licensed physical therapist with competence in such technology will prove highly beneficial to your post-procedure rehab. That therapist's ability to create a safe and therapeutically sound HEP could help you save much more than money.
    Still another excellent option is to participate in an outpatient rehab program that teaches a comprehensive use of this equipment and then to carry on your program at home. Comprehensive training and teaching assists in compliance. A unique feature of the RT 300 is the Bluetooth technology that allows your trained doctor and therapist to adjust your program, monitor for compliance, etc.
    Every day I wake up is a good one