Thread: Rectal distention inhibits the spinal micturition reflex

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rectal distention inhibits the spinal micturition reflex

In rats, apparently rectal distension inhibits spinal micturition reflex. I wonder if people have noticed reduced ability to urinate spontaneously before they have their bowel routine.

Miyazato M, Sugaya K, Nishijima S, Morozumi M, Ohyama C and Ogawa Y (2005). Rectal distention inhibits the spinal micturition reflex via glycinergic or GABAergic mechanisms in rats with spinal cord injury. Urol Int 74: 160-5. BACKGROUND: We examined the influence of rectal distention on the spinal micturition reflex and the mechanism underlying its inhibition of bladder contraction. METHODS: Fourteen conscious female Sprague-Dawley rats were used in this study after transection of the lower thoracic cord. Isovolumetric cystometry was performed before and after distention of the rectum by inflation of a rectal balloon, followed by intrathecal injection of strychnine (a selective glycine receptor antagonist) or bicuculline (a GABA(A) receptor antagonist) into the lumbosacral cord. RESULTS: Rectal distention (1.0-3.0 cm(3)) prolonged the interval, decreased the amplitude, and shortened the duration of bladder contraction, and eventually almost abolished bladder activity. After intrathecal injection of strychnine (0.001-10 microg) or bicuculline (0.001-1 microg) in animals with inhibition of bladder activity by rectal distention, the interval, amplitude, and duration of bladder contraction returned to baseline. CONCLUSION: These results suggest that there is an inhibitory rectovesical reflex in the lumbosacral cord of rats with spinal cord injury, which modulates the spinal micturition reflex via glycinergic or GABAergic mechanisms. Departments of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus and Nakagami Hospital, Okinawa 903-0215, Japan. m-minoru@nirai.ne.jp

i pee more when i have to go, normally when i have a strong inner contraction, i need to pee, what is that pereecstalis(sp)

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

peristalsis. It sounds as if you have the opposite of what the authors describe, that you are having to go at the same time. It is possible that the description here is in normal animals and that the reflexive relationship is opposite in chronic spinal-injured persons. Wise.

I find if I Cath right before I do Bowel Care I have more of a hard time with it. Where as if I have a semi full bladder, wear an external cath and pee while I am doing bowel care, it is much easier and more natural. It makes sense I guess as I can still remember when I was a/b peeing while pooping.

I agree with Curt - I've found that if I don't cath before sitting on the toilet I have a better BM if I urinate at the same time. I wasn't sure if this was psychological - when I start peeing I know that I'm pushing with the right muscle so I continue to do that and it helps my BM. If that makes any sense - but it made a difference to me so I stopped cathing before my morning routine.

I don't void completely so usually cath an hour or so after bowel routine. Mike

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

[This message was edited by MikeC on 03-25-05 at 12:18 PM.]

If I don't cath before my BP I will pee while doing my BP.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Originally posted by jimnms:

If I don't cath before my BP I will pee while doing my BP.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
    thats normal to pee while pooping

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

They should try this on rats with a bladder stent and sphincterotomy to see if the results are the same.

I usual void comnpletely during a bm and I have a sphincterotomy. But just sitting on commode chair and no bm - it still drains but the volumes seem lower sometimes.

I am thinking about trying to open the sphincter better. From what I read in the archives, a stent and my straight straw type sphincter might be a problem.

So, I will have to ask the urologist if the sphincter can be cut open more without risk of infections. I still not sure if the sphincter has special tolerances or limits. Any suggested studies proving the sphincter.

David

ABSOLUTELY...ALWAYS!

MY BEST TO EVERYONE!!!!

BRIDGET77

I am incontinent (urinary only) and pretty much just leak continually. However, if my bowels get too full, I will completely stop urinating. Once the bowels are empty, the urine starts flowing again just like before... I don't do a BP, since I have pretty good bowel control... usually I can "feel" when I need to have a BM, but if I wait too long, I can also tell because of the lack of urine output.

I think that fits with the findings in the study...

-Matt (T6 ASIA C)

--------------------
    "On November 2 the voice of the people was heard. I promise not to imitate it out of respect for the mentally retarded" - Lewis Black (Comedian)