Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paying our caregiver above the table

Alternatively, you can pay them above the board, but include in their written contract/hiring agreement (you have on, correct???) that they are an independent contractor and responsible for paying their own taxes, SS#, etc. (they should be advised to do this, but of course you cannot force them). This way you can still claim the expense of hiring them on your taxes. Of course you should consult your tax advisor or attorney for the details on this.

(KLD)

Wow - thanks, everyone, for all the recommendations! I've been asking around on a couple other forums and didn't get nearly as much input.

Just letting you all know that I looked into ElderCarePay software and leaning towards an annual subscription - very cost effective and seems easy to use. But I'm still checking into all of your suggestions before making my final decision.

Thanks again.

I use Excel as well. $10 a month for bookkeeping sounds extremely low.

I have been using Nannypay software for a few years now and it does the whole job with taxes, payroll, etc. Every year it is updated for tax changes. It is under $100 and does both Fed and state tax stuff. You can download it and try it free for 30 days.

http://www.nannypay.com/
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Alternatively, you can pay them above the board, but include in their written contract/hiring agreement (you have on, correct???) that they are an independent contractor and responsible for paying their own taxes, SS#, etc. (they should be advised to do this, but of course you cannot force them). This way you can still claim the expense of hiring them on your taxes. Of course you should consult your tax advisor or attorney for the details on this.

(KLD)
    this i what I do. I give everyone who has wages above $600 a form 1099 at the end of the year. I do all my own payroll and bookeeping. I have an excell spreadsheet that has categories and formulas.