Thread: Using iPhoto on the Mac

Using iPhoto on the Mac

All Mac OSX software comes with a program called iPhoto. It is program for digital images.

The first time you use it, you may curse it because it won't do what you want, until you realize that you really don't want it to do what you want and you let it do what it does back.

iPhoto is set up to automatically download digital photographs from minicards and digital cameras that you insert into the USB port. Yes, it asks you. You can set it to erase the files after it has downloaded or you can tell it not to erase. You can give the downloaded file a film roll name. That's it. The files are loaded into the iPhoto database, cataloged as a single "roll", with date and time.

Once the photos are loaded, you can see thumbnail images of the photos. You can enter comments into the photo database, adjust the sizes of the thumbnails, click any thumbnail to show the full-size pictures. There are single button functions that allow you to optimize the contrast and brightness, get rid of red-eye, crop the pictures, etc. You can print or save batches of photos to CD, delete, and duplicate photos with single clicks.

You can create albums in iPhoto. Albums are listed on the left sidebar. You just create an album and then drag and drop photos to the album. You rearrange the photos. You can play the albums, save them to CD or DVD, put them on internet, or delete pictures or the whole album. The only thing that you have to remember is that the albums don't actually contain the pictures. The pictures are still in the database. So, if you delete them from the album, the digital pictures are still in the Library. You have to delete them from Library if you want to delete the pictures. However, if you edit pictures in the albums (like changing contrast and cropping), the picture in the library will be changed. So, if you are paranoid about having the original photo file, you should do all your editing on a duplicated file. Otherwise, you will not have the original photo.

You can create "smart albums". For example, you rate your photos by stars and create an album for all your five-star pictures. There are two automatic smart albums. One is called Last Roll and the other is Last 12 months. These are as the name indicates... the last roll that you downloaded and the last 12 months of pictures.

While iPhoto does not have the sophisticated tools of Photoshop to mask, merge, subtract, add, and enhance images, the tools that it has are very good and as much or more than most photographers would want to do on their photographs. I also do all my photoprinting from iPhoto and I have not seen any computer to it better. I use a portable printer (Canon iP90) and photo paper. The 8" x 10" pictures from that printer are as good or better than commercially printed photos or at least my eye cannot tell the difference.

iPhoto have accepted all digital image files from cameras that I have used. Over the past few years, I have loaded digital images from dozens of different camera brands, from jpg to raw picture files: Nikon, Canon, Leitz, Kodak, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Konica, Kyocera, Epson, Sanyo, Lumix, and others.

If you understand what iPhoto does not do, you will not try to make iPhoto do what it does not do. For example, iPhoto does not create different libraries of photos, folders, or files. I know a lot of people who have tried to trick iPhoto into using more than one library. I would advise against it because iPhoto is designed to use a single library. You should not tinker with the Library folder. Almost everybody who has tried to trick iPhoto has ended up giving up and using other programs. You can, however, create folders into which you can organize your albums.

Wise.

The iLife 08 suite of applications, which includes iPhoto now adds some enhancements to the ones listed above by Wise. The cropping tool is more sophisticated and there are some additional editing functions including one that reduces shadows in underexposed portions of a photo. The editor is still basic but has additional options and is sufficient for most non-professional users.

The neatest addition, however, is in its photo browser. You still have the basic library housing all the pics, along with the albums and slideshow options, but the photos now default into what are called Events which the user can alter to one's infinite delight. Very cool and functional as you can see the contents of any of the events by merely moving your cursor over the picture under which the event is housed. So, a decent improvement to an already well designed photo browser.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Two small corrections/additional points to Wise's ever thorough posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    So, if you are paranoid about having the original photo file, you should do all your editing on a duplicated file. Otherwise, you will not have the original photo.
    iPhoto NEVER edits your original photo. Whenever you edit a photo, iPhoto generates a duplicate automatically. To go back to the original at any time, select the 'Revert to Original' option under the Photos menu in iPhoto '08.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    I also do all my photoprinting from iPhoto and I have not seen any computer to it better. I use a portable printer (Canon iP90) and photo paper. The 8" x 10" pictures from that printer are as good or better than commercially printed photos or at least my eye cannot tell the difference.
    Commercially printed photos generally have one huge advantage - they last much longer. Home photo printers use either ink-jet or dye sublimation technology (the later is generally better), whereas commercial printers use a chemical process that produces much more robust prints. Ink-jet printed photos can start fading after a year if left in bright light!

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Quote Originally Posted by cspanos
    Two small corrections/additional points to Wise's ever thorough posts.

iPhoto NEVER edits your original photo. Whenever you edit a photo, iPhoto generates a duplicate automatically. To go back to the original at any time, select the 'Revert to Original' option under the Photos menu in iPhoto '08.
    Chris.
    Actually Chris,

From Experience, not initially knowing iPhoto well it DOES edit your original photo once you go to another photo or "save" it...You can NOT revert to original after that point...I tried and tried...even if you do a minor change, switch to another photo in your library, it saves the changes to the original and you can not revert to original if you go back to it...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

From Experience, not initially knowing iPhoto well it DOES edit your original photo once you go to another photo or "save" it...You can NOT revert to original after that point...I tried and tried...even if you do a minor change, switch to another photo in your library, it saves the changes to the original and you can not revert to original if you go back to it...

Posted by Brokenwing
    Hi Chelle'

Actually, iPhoto 08 does allow you to revert to the original even after you have moved on and edited other photos. iPhoto 08 is new and better but there is no free software update, you must pay $70 for the iLife 08 upgrade. It is worth it for me as I am probably a couple of years away from buying a new Mac. The enhancements for iPhoto and iWeb make it worthwhile for me but evidently there are improvements to the entire suite of iLife apps.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Quote Originally Posted by john smith
    Hi Chelle'

Actually, iPhoto 08 does allow you to revert to the original even after you have moved on and edited other photos. iPhoto 08 is new and better but there is no free software update, you must pay $70 for the iLife 08 upgrade. It is worth it for me as I am probably a couple of years away from buying a new Mac. The enhancements for iPhoto and iWeb make it worthwhile for me but evidently there are improvements to the entire suite of iLife apps.

John
    REALLY??? COOL!!! I had been planning on getting iLife '08 I have '05 or '06(can't remember and my hard drive is crashed right now, see other thread) and when I was in the store a few months ago, I was going to buy the next one that I hadn't gotten, they advised me to wait to upgrade it 'till '08 came out...Seeing as how it's only been about 3 or 4 months and I haven't really missed the updates anyway, I am glad I waited...YEAH! a new reason to have waited...WOO HOO!!! I'm thinking of getting Leoppard too...HMMMM....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

There is a pretty good video demonstration of iPhoto 08 by Steve Jobs that you can watch (streaming) from the Apple.com website.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    Chelle,

I know for certain iPhoto 08 has a 'Revert to Original' command, and so too did iPhoto 06 (I cannot confirm the exact location of the command because I no longer have it installed).

If you go into the Pictures folder in your Users folder, you'll find your iPhoto library. Inside this folder (in iPhoto 08 it is now a package, so you need to control-click and choose 'Open Package') you will find two folders which hold all of your actual photos - Originals and Modified.

I have all of my originals from 2004 - I can see them now. iPhoto 08 has carried across all of my Originals from iPhoto 06. In fact, I just chose 'Revert to Original' for a photo I edited in iPhoto 06 and saved (red-eye reduced). iPhoto 08 found the original and reverted to it.

iPhoto & iMovie always had, as their basic MO, the rule that your originals are never ever touched. In fact, iMovie 08 is the first version of iMovie that lets you trim clips and actually modify the originals (which can save gigabytes of storage space).

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Thanks Chris;

That was very helpful to discover my original and modified folders. Yes, I am also able to Revert to Original on photos I edited before I upgraded to the 08 version of iPhoto. So, that option must have existed in iPhoto 06 as all my originals were preserved.

John