Thread: volunteering to help in southern calif

volunteering to help in southern calif

Let me introduce myself. i live in hacienda heights ca zip 91745. I don't have a SCI. However, I've been going through some pretty bad depression due to my failed relationships, sometimes i find it very difficult to go on living. I'm on anti depressants, but still hurts soo much. I feel so hopeless, and then i see how people with sci cope with much worse problems than i have, it's very inspiring for me to see how brave everyone here are. I wish i can be brave like you all. I'd like to volunteer and help out or just keep company anyone that needs help in my area.
    I'd really like to contribute my help, does anyone know of any volunteer websites that can direct me to the right place? I hope i don't offend anyone with this post.

God Bless,

You might want to post your message in the Life board. Most of the posters on Caregiving are actual caregivers or significant others. Although, I'm sure a lot of spouses would love a break once in a while.
    AB, Husband is c5-6 inc quad, 25 years post injury.

One other suggestion... update your profile with more info. People may be suspisious of you not knowing anything (not even your gender) about you and not respond. A lot of people come to this board who have a fettish about hooking up with someone who is disabled, we call them Devos (or Devotees).
    AB, Husband is c5-6 inc quad, 25 years post injury.

If you work in the laser area you could donate hair removal to guys to make getting ready for work easier. Or to gals who can't shave their own legs anymore.

There's a country wide network of lasik docs who doo lasik free for quads who can't put on their own glasses or caregivers are always putting them out of reach. Helping others does amazing things to ones self esteem.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.