Page 61 of 75 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge A Book by It's Cover ... Books YOU are reading or have read?

I am so into reading Historical romance novels. I have got most of mine through Ebay.
    The ones about Scotland and the Highlands in the times of 1100 to 1800's. The castles and the Lords and Earls. Some books are about the ships going to England and the pirates. I love them. Them big Highlander men always gets his woman. lol
    I have to say that in the boxes of books I have got a ton of Harlequins and I have know idea what to do with them. They are great but I have bigger books to read.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Stephen Hawking always a good read

Why God Did Not Create the Universe
    "There is a sound scientific explanation for the making of our world—no gods required"
    By STEPHEN HAWKING And LEONARD MLODINOW
    Excerpt in the Wall Street Journal:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...609024244.html

GJ

I just read "Out Stealing Horses" by Per Petterson.
    He is a Norwegian author. I've been trying to read this book for quite a while. Since Dave's injury nearly 2 years ago my reading has slowed down.
    I'm very fussy about fiction and this one did not let me down.
    Read "Girl With Dragon Tattoo" a while ago and hope to move on to the other 2.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I just read "Out Stealing Horses" by Per Petterson.
    He is a Norwegian author. I've been trying to read this book for quite a while. Since Dave's injury nearly 2 years ago my reading has slowed down.
    I'm very fussy about fiction and this one did not let me down.
    Read "Girl With Dragon Tattoo" a while ago and hope to move on to the other 2.
    Linda, I loved that book! Read it about 3 years ago.

(KLD)

Now I really feel bad because I haven't read it. But at least I had three of them with me in English last year when I came over to visit.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Linda, I loved that book! Read it about 3 years ago.

(KLD)
    I have his (Per Petterson) new one "I Curse the River of Time" and hope to start it this week.

Just picked up Ken Follett's Fall of Giants today and can't wait to start it. Huge fan of Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, so I hope it lived up to those. Even close will be great!

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city--a city that includes his wife and son--before it is too late.

It's not your average vampire story - in fact, it's quite disturbing. Read half of it in one day!

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Now I really feel bad because I haven't read it. But at least I had three of them with me in English last year when I came over to visit.
    Thanks Bente! I read it.
    I also read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and loved it. I am working on The girl who plays with fire now, in between school stuff.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwill79 View Post
    Just picked up Ken Follett's Fall of Giants today and can't wait to start it. Huge fan of Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, so I hope it lived up to those. Even close will be great!
    I just picked up the audio version (24 discs) of Fall of the Giants from the library. This book is being lambasted on Amazon, not by people that have actually read the book, but people with Kindles bitching about the cost to them to download it.
    William M.
    T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74