Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When to tell prospective college of disability?

Rick,
    As a current college student and one that has been in college for way to long. I would suggest that your daughter let them know of her needs prior to her arrival for her visit day. And as many people ;have suggested, request to speak to the disability services on the campus. Your daughter seems very smart so don't count Princeton out, lol. That would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be up front. Honesty is the best policy. Her grades speak for themselves. Good luck to her and to you.

Becky,
    Chicago
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Quote Originally Posted by rickhemi
    Randolph Macon (her intial 1st choice) sends her something every week and this is the school we'll see next month. But William and Mary is a 'designated' handicaped friendly institution in our state, so she'll likely apply there as well.

When she was younger, she wanted to go to Liberty U in Lynchburg, but this schools is in the mountains and she feels the terrain would be an additional burden.

I agree that she'll do well wherever, just trying to gain any insight I can.

Thanks again.
    I agree w/ SCI nurse about not submitting articles in application packet but discussing in application if she is so inclined.

If you are a Viriginia resident you can get the most financial & other assistance from Virginia department of rehabilitative services (DRS) by going to a State school, such as W&M.

I went to William and Mary in the early 80's and it was good experience, the access has improved quite a bit over the years also.

Your daughter sounds like a good kid, I'm sure wherever she chooses it will be a great experience.

Update

Hi folks,

Boy, a lot can change in a few months.

We've visited 2 campus's (Randolph Macon & Edinboro Univ. of PA). Sarah liked the compact/flat campus at RMC, but hated the freshman dorm situation and it didn't have the academics she's now looking for (arch. engineering). Edinboro was even better, most accessible school on east coast (according to New Mobility mag), but again didn't have the major she's looking for. The admissions counselor told her she would be accepted on the spot, due to her scores being higher than their average students.

She's now thinking about VA Tech, but will probably need to retake the SAT and also take the math subject test and one other. She was a little disappointed in her first try (1080 and a 610 in creative writing). It's still an above avg score, but barely. But her GPA is currently 3.83, which is pretty strong.

I've heard the campus at VT is a bit hilly, but the website does say they have accessible housing.

Any other engineering colleges we should be looking at?? Please let us know.
    Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

Quote Originally Posted by rickhemi
    Any other engineering colleges we should be looking at?? Please let us know.
    Old Dominion University may be worth looking into... They have always had a strong engineering program. In the last decade the city and university have implemented extensive plan to transform the university campus. It's nice.

Virginia state school w/ moderate climate and flat terrain.

engineering school : http://eng.odu.edu/

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay
    Old Dominion University may be worth looking into... They have always had a strong engineering program. In the last decade the city and university have implemented extensive plan to transform the university campus. It's nice.

Virginia state school w/ moderate climate and flat terrain.

engineering school : http://eng.odu.edu/

good luck
    I checked out their site and architectural engineering is not offered there.

Got any others?
    Rick

rick, is she only interested in east cioast colleges?

I ask because the U of I in Champaign, Illinois has one of the most accessible campuses, plus it has a pretty good engineering program.
    Chicago also has notable architectural programs, incl. IIT and their College of Architecture
    • IIT Research Institute has several locations throughout the United States, and the university has four campuses in the Chicago area. The 120-acre Main Campus, at 33rd and State in Chicago, as well as many of its buildings, was designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who directed the architecture program at IIT from 1938 to 1958 and was one of the 20th century's most influential architects. In 1976, the American Institute of Architects recognized the campus as one of the 200 most significant works of architecture in the U.S.

The Institute of Design
      , an international leader in teaching systemic, human-centered design, is located at 350 N. LaSalle Street in Chicago's Near North neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    rick, is she only interested in east cioast colleges?

I ask because the U of I in Champaign, Illinois has one of the most accessible campuses, plus it has a pretty good engineering program.
    Chicago also has notable architectural programs, incl. IIT and their College of Architecture
    • IIT Research Institute has several locations throughout the United States, and the university has four campuses in the Chicago area. The 120-acre Main Campus, at 33rd and State in Chicago, as well as many of its buildings, was designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, who directed the architecture program at IIT from 1938 to 1958 and was one of the 20th century's most influential architects. In 1976, the American Institute of Architects recognized the campus as one of the 200 most significant works of architecture in the U.S., the Master of Public Administration Program, and the Stuart School of Business.

The Institute of Design
      , an international leader in teaching systemic, human-centered design, is located at 350 N. LaSalle Street in Chicago's Near North neighborhood.
    Well, perhaps not, I mean, we just drove 450 miles (one way) to get to Edinboro last week.

I'll get some info on it and share it with her. Ideally she'd like to be closer to home, but the right university will probably be the final deciding factor.

Thanks Chick. I value your input.
    Rick

Smile

HI,

My son is a ASIA A C5 and we live in New York. He is going to attend the University of Illinopis @ Urbana for this Fall 2008. As a matter of fact he is going to summer orientation next week. Anyway, THe U of I has one of the best engeneering schools in the country and it has your daughter's major.

As per the earlier poster, it has the best disability program in the country and a brand new college of engineering buildings. The campus is flat as a pancake, has impressive disbility support. My wife and I would of never dreamed of sending my ASIA A C5 son 800 miles way if we did not feel comfortable with the accomdations they have there.
    The admission process is competetive, but it is heavily based on class rank and SAT scores. She needs to get her scores up a bit, but my son had to do it also. I just know the U of I blew Edinboro away in all aspects.I was very involved in his admission process and became very much an "expert" I think I knew more than his guidance counslers ( I know I think that way) I now have all this knowledge and no where to use it, so if you have any questiions on the admission process, schools, which ones to apply to, etc. or how to write an essay for admission or scholarships , let me know. My son recieved 7 merit scholarships based on academics and how we answered the essays.
    Tips to raise SAT scores. Buy the "Blue Book" SAT review book, do all the tests of the math, and critical reading and review what she got wrong. have her practice outlining and writing a short timed essays on topics gleaned from the news. Get a private tutor, preferbly one of her math teachers or teachers who know the "tricks" on how to answer the math. The best thing my son's tutor said that the Math section is really an English section, because reading the math question and understanding what the question is askingwill determine how to answer it. This is the key.
    My son who is not interested in math raised his math score over 100 points just by this method. He raised his critical reading by 50 points just by taking his time and using the blue book and reviewing every word he did not know. The essay part is hit or miss. His scored a 680 on his first one because the topic was debating if somthing good could happen out of somthing that is bad and vice versa. He used his injury and believe or not Hilter(because the german economy improved directly from his reign before World War II go figure.) The next one he scored only a 590 becaust it asked about whether celebities have a moral obligation to help society. He could not care less about that topic. Don't forget almost all the schools "supersore the SAT scores, meaning they will take the best of any section and combine them into one score. Also have her take the ACT.. some students do better on it and some do better on the SAT.

l
    Last edited by okwjoe; 06-07-2008 at 03:09 AM.

*shrug*

well... I'm currently looking @ grad schools. This time around (vs. undergrad) I'm meeting with department heads in-person prior to even applying. It has been nothing but positive so far, aside from current fuel prices for the out-of-state road trips to different schools.