Thread: Bowel question

Bowel question

Im letting my bowel go sunday night, tuesday night and thursday night. Im getting fat so should i let it go more? Advise please

I am not sure what you mean by "letting it go". Do you mean you have not done any bowel care, and are now impacted, or that you are just letting accidents (bowel incontinence) happen??

Bowel care is recommended to be done no less often than twice weekly, and there are some studies indicating that if you go less often than 3X weekly that it increases your long term risks for developing megacolon.

Get the booklet on Neurogenic Bowel management from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine (find the link in the sticky message at the top of the Care forum), and read it and follow those guidelines.

(KLD)

thanx i was just not sure how regular i should let my bowl go

I think 'most' sci tend to go every second day, or I have read of some going Mon/Wed/Fri. But it depends upon the person and what routine works well with them.

I am not sure if about the fat aspect though. Maybe you mean para/quad belly (lack of muscle tone to hold belly in) which seems to be just about the norm with sci.

Maybe this post should be moved to the care forum and you will get more responses.
    Last edited by Annabanana; 10-09-2007 at 03:31 AM. Reason: suggest moving to care forum

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    ...there are some studies indicating that if you go less often than 3X weekly that it increases your long term risks for developing megacolon.
    Sounds like some sort of Decepticon. Sorry, couldn't help it.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

We are only 8 months post injury and are still on an every evening schedule. My son feels bloated on his left side of the belly if results are not great for 2 days. Could this be what you are feeling? It would be very obvious that it was on the left side. My son does not have an ounce of fat on him so it is very obvious when his colon is full on the left side. He is sucessful if he massages his left belly and that moves things along.

You need to talk to your Dr. You may need an x=ray to see if you are impacted
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"

Mary, is your son doing bowel care up on a toilet or commode? Is he getting at least 30 gm. of dietary fiber daily? Drinking at least 3 quarts of water daily? Doing bowel care within 1/2 hour after a meal? What is he actually doing for bowel care?

Most people with injuries (other than CES) can go every other day, and don't need to do daily bowel care. Isn't an evening bowel program a crimp in his social life? Most of my clients prefer mornings...get it over with, and not have to rush home from dinner with friends (and skip the movie) to do bowel care.

(KLD)