Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boot transition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

boot transition

i'm gonna try to to wear boots pictured, i currently wear ugly shoes pictored. the boots are snug at the toe but not to the point of being difficult to put on. they are well padded inside and i'm putting in gell insoles. im worried about pressure sores and curious if/how my feet will adjust. i'm thinking i should try wearing them a couple hours at a time n watching for pressure spots. input anyone?

'Those who would trade liberty for safety deserve neither.' - Benjamin Franklin

Hey C-spine! My bro Jim wears hiking boots with steel toes all the time, helps protect his toes, he's diabetic x 25 years so it's vital he doesn't get pressure sores on his feet. I got them about 2 sizes larger than he wore pre-SCI, and they have worked well, even though he does get some edema while up in chair all day. When first trying new shoes we always take them off and check his feet periodically. The inserts will make them even tighter, so check often. Also have to watch the ankle area (especially around boney parts) and achilles tendon since a lot of boots slope inwards in the back. I like the boots by the way! Deb

You could always get someone you know to wear them around their house for a week or so to wear them in so they aren't so stiff when you put them on. Unles maybe everyone you know has smelly feet, in which case I wouldn't recommend this.

Krystal

Formerly known as krystalpineo
    www.sciinfertilitysupport.com

Originally posted by Krysi:

You could always get someone you know to wear them around their house for a week or so to wear them in so they aren't so stiff when you put them on. Unles maybe everyone you know has smelly feet, in which case I wouldn't recommend this.

Krystal

Formerly known as krystalpineo
    http://www.sciinfertilitysupport.com

yup thats what io do. i wear a 12 and so does my best friend. he wears my new dress shoes around for an hour or 2, breaks them in so they arent so dam uncomfortable.
    can u feel your feet, if so just take them off when they get uncomfortable, or a good spasm helps qas well

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

LOL..I do the same thing,i have my cousin where em for a few days first.I dont tie em very tight for awhile either,i slowly increase the tightness and check for pressure points..

~~I went to heaven,but couldnt get in for what i had done.I said ''please take me'',they said your crazy,you had to much fun~~

All are good suggestions.
    Even after they are broken in by someone else, when you first start wearing them, have a system of checking your feet every 30 minutes, then one hour, then every two hours, etc...slowly increasing the time between inspections to make sure the length of time is up to what your would normally be wearing them.

CWO

IMO, they probably won't work. A shoe designed for the warehouse isn't necessary for one in the chair. You don't need industrial protection and support. I doubt they will ever break in adequately to acommodate daily swelling. I would never wear a shoe that covers the bony ankle prominances either. That type of support isn't required and it's just a prescription for trouble. There's a catalog service called Hitchcock shoes.

http://www.hitchcockshoes.com/

I've never bought from them but they have a variety of footware, specialty and normal in extra wide sizes. It may be worth examining.

I'd nix the trooper boots though.

Originally posted by crags:

IMO, they probably won't work. A shoe designed for the warehouse isn't necessary for one in the chair. You don't need industrial protection and support.
    Are you kidding or just plain stupid? I got steel toe boots because I NEED STEEL TOE BOOTS. Wheelers do heavy work too. I bust up my toes all the time.

Originally posted by Cspine:

Originally posted by crags:
    IMO, they probably won't work. A shoe designed for the warehouse isn't necessary for one in the chair. You don't need industrial protection and support.
    Are you kidding or just plain stupid? I got steel toe boots because I NEED STEEL TOE BOOTS. Wheelers do heavy work too. I bust up my toes all the time.

I agree, my husband could use them too. I think I'll recommend he buys a pair. He's always dropping big stuff on his toes or balancing heavy stuff on his feet when he's working on cars. It never occured to me that they might be a good idea. They make steel toed sneaker/hikers don't they?

Krystal

Need to watch the foot swelling specifically where your foot is snug now. This and inside where steel ends and there is just leather. This is the area to pay the most attention to as your feet adjust to them.