Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: what should i take for constipation?

Rehab Rhino,

If you have accidents while on antibiotics, you may want to try eating a yogurt with the antibiotic. It helps replace the "good bacteria" in your body (intestines, I think) that the antibiotic gets rid of. That's why antibiotics can cause diarrhea. This works great with my husband who is an L1 para, 3 1/2 months post.

Yogurt will help only if it is non-pasturized, which can be a little risky for other reasons. You can also get the same good bacteria (acidophilus) by drinking acidophilus milk or taking in in capsules.

This will not help with diarrhea cause by c. difficule though, which can also result from antibiotic use (it is also infectious).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Yogurt will help only if it is non-pasturized, which can be a little risky for other reasons. You can also get the same good bacteria (acidophilus) by drinking acidophilus milk or taking in in capsules.

This will not help with diarrhea cause by c. difficule though, which can also result from antibiotic use (it is also infectious).

(KLD)
    All commercially produced yogurt is pasturized and then cultured. Some yogurts are then heat treated, killing the culture. Yogurt that hasn't been heat treated will be labeled "live and active cultures" or something close to that. There is nothing risky about eating yogurt w/ active culture. For digestive purposes, whole milk plain yogurt is best, unhomogenized better IMO. (i own a small, farm based yogurt plant, so I'm a bit biased)

Some manufacturers add other cultures during processing to enhance the health-promoting potential of yogurt. The most commonly added cultures include Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. casei, L. reuteri and Bifidobacterium bifidum