Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what should i take for constipation?

Quote Originally Posted by jukespin

fuentejps, This is an excellent example of my opening proposition; if the laxative isn't a product of a pharmaceutical company (i.e. in a bottle or jar from the medicines section of the supermarket; with a prescription label on it; etc.) we have trouble seeing it as a laxative. Our nomadic hunter/gatherer forbearers had no such trouble "seeing" the realities of the foods and herbs of their world - which was our world just a few tens of millennia ago. Consider that they endured for hundreds of thousands of years before our present ancestor, following the new Cult Of The Seed (agriculture, in a fixed, nonnomadic location), gradually replaced them.

Dictionary definition of laxative:

6 entries found for laxative.

lax·a·tive ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lks-tv)

n. A food or drug that stimulates evacuation of the bowels.
    adj.

1. Stimulating evacuation of the bowels.
    2. Causing looseness or relaxation, especially of the bowels.
    flax doesnt do either, it just adds bulk......
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

For people with SCI, we look at bowel medications by how they work:

Softeners (Colace, DSS, Surfax, etc.): Inert chemicals that work as wetting agents and prevent the body from absorbing too much water from the stool. Do not effect peristalsis, and cannot soften already hard stool.

Bulk agents (psyllium, flax seed, etc.): increase the volume of the stool, which increases peristalsis and moves stool more quickly through the gut, which result in less water being removed and the stool being softer. Do not soften already hard stools.

Stimulant laxatives (senna, cascera, bisacodyl, etc.): chemicals that either irritate the bowel or stimulate the nerves of the bowel to increase the rate of peristalsis. Do not soften hard stools.

Osmotic laxatives (milk of magnesia, magnesium citrate, Miralax, lactulose, etc.): chemicals that pull water from the body into the gut, lubricating the stool and causing looser stool that may pass easier. Will not always soften very hard impacted stool though.

Softeners and bulk agents are used to prevent, not treat, constipation or impaction. If you are mildly constipated, then a small dose of a stimulant or osmotic laxative occasionally will help. Regular use is generally to be avoided due to long term problems such as higher risk of megacolon. If you are really impacted, then the combination of an osmotic laxative and a stimulant, often with repeated doses needed, is recommended.

(KLD)

Frosted mini wheats and water. I have endless problems with this stuff if I get away from the fmw.

Thank you buckwheat and kaprikorn for discovering these.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Frosted mini wheats and water.
    x2 on those (the brown sugar ones are the best tasting), or Raisin Bran. Either work well for me.

Additionally, Sunsweet has some pretty good tasting "Orange Essence" dried plums that I eat 5-6 of every other day, typically the night before I drop the kids off at the pool. Works like a charm. The other flavors are okay & have the same effect.

Hydration is important over all else though. I didn't read this whole thread but I assume that's been mentioned.

edited to add: Apples are good as well. One every day or two helps.
    Last edited by -scott-; 10-28-2005 at 02:08 PM.

Hydration is the main thing which affects me. Don't know how but my bowels are 80% normal. I get up on commode, push (I'm inc.....somehow SCI spared my pooing muscles) and go.......15 mins tops.

Always a good amount, never have accidents unless I'm on antibiotics.

No idea how anyone can go for days without going......I would fill a bath.

Lots of water and fruit if you get bunged IMO
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Laxative Properties of Flax Seed

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    flax doesnt do either, it just adds bulk......

1) "Flax seed has a long history of medicinal use, its main effects being as a laxative and expectorant that soothes irritated tissues, controls coughing and relieves pain. The seed, or the oil from the seed are normally used." *

2) "The seed is analgesic, demulcent, emollient, laxative, pectoral and resolvent." *

Feel I have to get this straight, otherwise thread readers might get an idea that flax seed isn't laxative. Anyone unconvinced about the laxative/bulk qualities of flax seed is invited to conduct the following experiments:

Night before anticipating a good BM try eating three ounces of cooked white rice (or any rice, to keep things on a level). Evaluate BM (if there is one) the next morning.

As above, try eating three ounces of flax seed either cooked or uncooked. Evaluate BM next morning (if you can avoid having one sooner).

As mentioned in the thread, keeping well hydrated is important; not only to having good, regular bowel movements, but to overall health. Seventy percent of americans are chronically dehydrated; it's a big problem and health issue. Our remote ancestors were ocean dwellers; now we either maintain an adequate "ocean" within or suffer the consequences.

I hate to sound like a know-it-all and might be thought the be full of shit; but I just had such a good, big...etc., etc..

* Plants For A Future - A Resource and Information Centre for Edible and other useful plants.
    Last edited by jukespin; 10-29-2005 at 01:32 AM.

i had a bag lying around of flax seed, first couple days , i tried them whole, didnt realize i had to grind them.
    put them through a coffee grinder and now add to my oatmeal and raisin bran.
    how much is recommended, i have been using a 1/4 cup of ground flax seems
    cauda equina

Flax seed is for prevention of constipation, not treatment. Flax seed should always be ground. It is not effective whole. Gradually work up from 2-4 tablespoons of ground flax seed daily.

Here is a good info page about flax seed:

http://www.ecochem.com/flax_facts.html

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy
    i had a bag lying around of flax seed, first couple days , i tried them whole, didnt realize i had to grind them.
    put them through a coffee grinder and now add to my oatmeal and raisin bran.
    how much is recommended, i have been using a 1/4 cup of ground flax seems
    i only do 3 teaspoons a week just for the fiber, i sprinkle it on my miniwheats one of those days. no laxative effect at all, just fiber.......maybe like any other fiber, if u eat to much it would act as laxative.........be sure and store your ground flax in the freezer, if not it will go bad
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

hmmmm i guess 1/4 cup day and night is a bit high=
    i mix it with oatmeal or raisin bran .
    1/2 a cup a day
    28 grams is about 1/8 a cup
    cauda equina