Thread: bowel program

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

bowel program

i'm a c5 injury, but functionally c6/7...will i ever be able to do my own bowel program?

Depending on your bowel program- suppository, mininenema, you need some sort of finger function. The suppository inserters do work with just hand function but aren't that easy to use.

JM

I am c6 and I was taught to do my bowel program using a suppository inserter during rehabilitation.

It took months to perfect but as far as I was concerned that was the key to being independent.

As for all the different people having different problems with bowel care I believe it is a function of what you eat and consistency. You must keep it moving so you need a 'routine' I do it every other day and when on narcotics use Miralax.

If you have strong wrists, then you may be able to do your own bowel care. I have a number of clients at C6 functional level who do their own, including suppository insertion (with an inserter), digital stimulation (with a digital stimulator) and clean up (usually using a toilet aid or wash mitt). It is critical to have a properly designed commode chair for this to be successful.

(KLD)

reason i ask is because we do bowel program every night....and after one dig stem, i can bear down and empty some on my own...this has gotten progressively better since my injury...11 months post...

also during times that i use a condom catheter, i can void on my own when my bladder is full...but its also not something that i can hold back...so i dont know...

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

It is critical to have a properly designed commode chair for this to be successful.
    We do not have a commode chair. My husband uses his finger and then cleans himself, all while laying on one side in the bed (this is how he was taught in rehab). He figured since he had no bowel control, he would not need to use a chair, but I am very interested in your comment and how to proceed with a chair. (I suspect we were kind of rushed through rehab.)

Thanks!

Life is a shit sandwich. Eat it or starve.

The purpose of doing it in the chair is in that position gravity will help move the stool.