Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple Powerbook Harddrive source needed

I'm pretty sure yours is an ATA (non-SATA) drive - but don't quote me on it. I wish Apple used identifiers on its Macs like PowerBook G4 2005, even if on the back/bottom!

Chris.

P.S. Amazon sells drives too, but I'd go with OWC. I also used to buy from outpost.com, now frys.com.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Chris-
    That's exactly the same link that Dr Young posted...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    Chris-
    That's exactly the same link that Dr Young posted...
    I need to pay more attention to his links.

I'm impressed by OWC's Mac focus. It's a very cool site.

Chris.

I bought the 250 gig WD Scorpio drive from NewEgg last night...def the cheapest...Was shipped out today and has a delivery date of the 11th...With any luck, my system will be back up & running by this weekend...This does require me FINDING my original startup disk and my Tiger upgrade disk....I've got some searching to do...lol...

Wish me luck!
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

Good luck, CHELLE!
    Daniel

My hard drive came in today! I successfully removed the old one and put the new one in...YEAH! Well, YEAH! until the OS software doesn't give me an option of a drive to install on...The Disk Utility(from the install CD) recognizes that the drive is there, The installation begins, but when it says choose drive to install OS X on, it doesn't give me a drive to install on...This is a brand new WD Scorpio 250Gig drive...Is there anything I need to do to the drive? Do I need to partition it? Would it be a good idea to partition it anyway? Then I could keep pics &/or music on a diff partition of the drive? Is there any reason why the install software isn't giving me an option to choose a drive? I am using OSX Tiger, SOMEWHERE I have my original CD for my computer but I don't know where...It took a few hrs of searching to find the Tiger software...This place is a constant construction zone and finding anything is a feat in and of itself...If I NEED my original startup/boot disk I believe I can contact apple for a replacement, but that could take some time...I was REALLY hoping to have my system back up & running before this weekend...Any more suggestions? HELP! I'm going thru Mac withdrawls...especially since I successfully put the drive in the computer today!!! Tiger is just not playing nice!
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

Needs to be formatted..

I totally forget what the Mac format is, but you need to formaT it, or the OS has no idea what it is.

Check the utillity disk for a program to do it. Else d/l and burn qtparted, yes it's Linux, but only cause it's free.

Qtparted is a LiveCd that you run off the cd and will fomat and partion your drive. At 250G I would for sure split it in 2 so that you can run the computer off 1, and keep your stuff on the other.
    Last edited by Patonb; 10-12-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Chelle,

Have you formatted the drive? I wasn't sure - it may be pre-formatted for PCs. If you haven't formatted it yet, boot into your Tiger CD (you don't need your original CD) and when you reach the installer splash-screen one of the menus (Tools from memory - I don't have the installer CD to test) lets you launch Disk Utility. From there you should choose to 'Erase' the disk in 'Mac OS Extended (Journalled)' format.

I wouldn't bother partitioning a Mac drive since the OS does a good job of putting photos in the Pictures directory, songs in the Music directory, etc. - but that's just my personal preference.

If you have formatted the drive and still can't install the OS, my guess is that it's set as a slave and boot drives need to be set as a master (I'm not 100% positive this is a requirement).

If none of this works, it could be a faulty logic-board (the drive may have always been OK).

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by cspanos
    Chelle,

I wouldn't bother partitioning a Mac drive since the OS does a good job of putting photos in the Pictures directory, songs in the Music directory, etc. - but that's just my personal preference.

Chris.
    I only say this cause it's neater and not anything to do with the OS's........ That way you can share just the drive with media/non-working files.... Thats if you network.

Again, just security.