Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple Powerbook Harddrive source needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Apple Powerbook Harddrive source needed

OK, so I've successfully killed the harddrive in my powerbook...I've talked to the Apple store guys and they recommended that I replace it myself as the apple service fees are outrageous and my computer is out of warranty. I have no qualms about being able to do so...HOWEVER, I don't know WHERE to get a new drive from...Jadis gave me one website, but their drives were not quite large enough for my storage capacity needs...I need larger than 100gig as the 80 gig I had was more than overfull for the past year...At least 120 would be best...and upon Jadis' recommendation 7200rpm...SOOOO anyone have any recommendations for a website to find such a creature? I don't even know where to start looking for parts...lol...I would like to keep the cost reasonable but then again, I know I'm talking about replacing the harddrive in a MAC...

Thanks everyone
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

It just has to be the same physical size. Hitachi is probably the brand I have used most for laptops (when they were IBM)
    This link seems to be most relevant:
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/powerbook...d_upgrade.html

Notice the bottom where it says the max height is 12.5mm

As a side note, 7200 is much faster, but also draws more power, ie shorter battery life.

-- JB

Have you checked out Newegg?

Go up at least 100GB.

Chelle,

Does your manual say whether you have an ATA or SATA drive? I think it's ATA in the PowerBook G4 from memory.

You just need a generic 2.5 inch hard drive - you can get one from your local PC vendor (if they build PCs they can usually get hard drives cheap). Apple components like RAM and hard drives are generic.

Then just format your new drive and install OS X. I just bought a 250GB SATA HD for my MacBook - the biggest I could find for a laptop. Because it's a laptop drive I went for a 5,400 rpm drive. A G4 processor is unlikely to fully utilise the bandwidth of a 7,200 rpm drive and I find 5,400 rpm to be the sweet-spot for speed versus battery life.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Quote Originally Posted by cspanos
    Then just format your new drive and install OS X. I just bought a 250GB SATA HD for my MacBook - the biggest I could find for a laptop. Because it's a laptop drive I went for a 5,400 rpm drive. A G4 processor is unlikely to fully utilise the bandwidth of a 7,200 rpm drive and I find 5,400 rpm to be the sweet-spot for speed versus battery life.
    Chris.
    That is an awfully large hard drive (250GB) for a laptop. I concur with the 5,400 rpm instead of the 7,200 rpm which would also generate more heat.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    That is an awfully large hard drive (250GB) for a laptop. I concur with the 5,400 rpm instead of the 7,200 rpm which would also generate more heat.
    It's huge, but I'm slowly ripping all my DVDs with HandBrake. I get to annoy my family for the next month, then I get an Apple TV and watch any movie I own at any time without annoying anybody to grab the disc for me.

I also bought a Western Digital 2TB MyBook drive.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    so the battery life is not a huge concern as I rarely run on just battery anyway....But are you saying that the 7200 would make my computer run HOTTER? AAAAACCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!! It already could fry an egg on the bottom of it...Last thing I need is to run hotter! Now if it makes any difference, I do have the 17" aluminum G4 powerbook...

I'm still wanting sites to look for a drive...only EAK has actually given me somewhere to look for one...which was my initial question...

Kristi-
    Mac is super easy to learn...and MUCH MORE reliable As long as you don't continually overload you harddrive for well over a year...Then stupidly as the drive is on it's last legs put your super magnetic cell phone case on your computer right where the hard drive is...lol...that'll kill ANY harddrive...BAH! ANYWAY, Go play with a macbook, you'll like it...but buy it direct from Apple, either the Apple Store or website...eliminate the middleman & potential excess upcharges by going thru a third party like Best Buy... www.mac.com will become your fiend REALLY quick
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

If you don't like Newegg you can check out Tigerdirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by EAK
    If you don't like Newegg you can check out Tigerdirect.com
    I appreciate the newegg resource...didn't realize I could get my mac drive there...bought stuff from them wayyyyyyy back in the day when they were egghead....always had good luck w/their stuff....Thanks for Tiger irect too...been many many years since I bought from them as well....will check both sites & compare equip/prices thanx
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03