Thread: Colostomy post surgery Questions

Colostomy post surgery Questions

I finally got in to see surgeon today after waiting 3 months for appointment. I've researched for a long time and thanks to the feedback from folks on this board I am going to have colostomy surgery done. After 30 years the bowel program isn't cutting it. I like the surgeon a lot. He's done SCI folks before and will be doing laparoscopic surgery.

My questions are about after the surgery. I asked two nurses and will get a chance to ask ostomy nurse but in terms of activity... I drive a car and have to do a pretty "physical transfer" to get in the car, stow chair etc. I'll have someone helping but there isn't anyway to make the transfer easier. I'll pivot, turn and bear & lift most of my weight with arms. This is how I plan to come home from hospital if I can do it w/out problems. Am I risking messing up the surgery by doing this? someone mentioned possible hernia?

Would appreciate any advice based on personal experience or medical knowlege.

Also, at home should I have someone around for first day or two. I'll have friends coming by & a phone call away but I am wondering if I should ask family to come from out of state to assist for a few days? Again I guess it comes back mostly to transfers. I don't plan on being real active but can I expect to get in and out of the bed / transfer without messing things up?

I feel like I am 90% there, the surgery will improve quality of life but I don't want to mess things up / cause complications for lack of planning.

Many thanks for any ideas.

It is unlikely they will allow you to drive yourself home from the hospital, and I would not recommend it. You are still under the influence of the anesthesia for several days, and it is better not to risk it. Can you ride in your chair or even take paratransit or wheelchair van to get home?

Discuss your transfer techniques with your surgeon...and with the CWOCN or other ostomy nurse you will be seeing pre-op (to get your stoma site marked). Be sure you do this sitting, not laying down.

Even when I had a recent knee scope they made me sign that I would have someone with me for the first 24 hours I was home, and would not release me from the day surgery center until my friend came to pick me up. Best to plan on this. Let yourself be pampered for a few days!!

(KLD)