Thread: Another Q for Nurses re: tethering

Another Q for Nurses re: tethering

KLD...The thread by joyfulgirl has gotten me concerned. I am L1 burst, ASIA C, walking para, fusion w/ rods L3-T8, 3 years post injury. I can walk a mile fairly well unassisted, workout on weights and recumbant stationary bike 3 times a week. I have not had an MRI of my spine since just before my surgery (forinotomy, laminectomy, decomp, rods and fusion in 2001). I have had x-rays at annual followups w/ ortho surgeon. He says all is well.

My concern is that I still have extreme sensitivity and pain from any kind of jolt my body experiences. I can't run because of the pain at injury site and above when heels contact ground. Same happens if I step short or miss a little change in sidewalk elevation, even riding in a car and hitting a pothole sends a stabbing jolt of pain up my spine. I also get the electrical-type shocks and stabbing pains along both sides of my spine for no reason. Even leaning to far sideways or forward sends these pains too.

NOW...my question is...could this be a sign of possible tethering after my original surgery?

I have improved so much and gotten so much return (except for BBS, of course) in my 3 years post, the only thing I can't seem to stop is that pain! I see chair-bound paras monoskiing, waterskiing, w/c basketballing, etc...I can't even begin to approach something like that due to the pain anytime I have some kind of jolt, shock or bump.

Kap

accept no substitutes

Wise...can you or Kathleen please give me some opinion on this?

Kap

accept no substitutes

KLD is off but I know she checks the site often.I know Dr. Wise was on this morning.

So, I will just have to do for now.
    This is common and doesn't necessarily indicate tethering. Damaged nerves very seldom repair themselves "perfectly". Time usually does help.
    On a personal note, I had a lumbar laminectomy 9 years ago and I still occasionally have crawling sensations, electrical sensations going up my leg and other unusual things.Sometimes, i know it is because I lifted something heavy of irritated my back in some way. Other times, it just happens.
    I can only imagine a ruptured disc is minimal compared to a SCI.
    I take Ibuprofen, an anti inflammatory, once or twice a day, if it lasts for while bothers me and in a couple of days it isn't as noticeable or completely goes away for awhile.

Have a Happy Easter!

CWO