Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: standing bad for high quads??

standing bad for high quads??

Anthony has been going once a week to a PT and she has been putting him in an Easystand evolve. He liked it. She had to get a presc. from his physiatrist so we could continue coming under Medicare, but his physiatrist did not recommend him standing??!! She said that high level quads usually get Osteoperosis and would not write it. When the PT said what if he gets a bone scan to see if he has osteo or is a candidate for it and she said she didn't want to because of the costs and it was not worth dying for!! I have a call into his orthopedic Dr. because he did have a bone scan earlier this year for his HO and get his opinion on standing, but I was shocked because all I have ever heard was that it was a good thing. Don't know if Anthony has osteo but don't think so. Doesn't standing prevent this also?? Any comments are appreciated.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

Cindy,

I haven't for several years, but I used to use a standing frame on a regular basis. I stopped because my doc said I wasn't doing it enough to do any good. I wish I had never stopped and am now looking at a standing wheelchair, as pictured.

I have not been tested for osteo, but would not be surprised if I have it. My thoughts are with yours that standing is a good idea, others will likely agree. Your doctor may be going from old information or hasn't seen the benefits standing has shown.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

i wonder what is considered a regular basis. if we bought one I think he would be able to use it 4-3 times a week. Other than having that be enough for it to benefit him physically he likes it mentally because he is standing and not looking up at people. It just feels good to him. So unless his other Dr. says it is bad for him I don't see why not.

It's not unusual for people with SCI to osteoporosis. My doctor said that it is pretty much universal for the wheelchair set. He put me on Fosomax to try to prevent fractures without even doing a bone scan. I think the bigger problem for high quads standing infrequently is autonomic dysrefexia.

Quote Originally Posted by waters3
    She said that high level quads usually get Osteoperosis and would not write it.
    that's ridiculous... yes, there is risk for anyone in a chair to develop osteoporosis, but HELLO doc, standing will help prevent it.
    When the PT said what if he gets a bone scan to see if he has osteo or is a candidate for it and she said she didn't want to because of the costs and it was not worth dying for!!
    worth DYING for??? again, ridiculous. Get the DEXA (bone density) scan results & *then* let those so-called-professionals give their opinion.
    I have a call into his orthopedic Dr. because he did have a bone scan earlier this year for his HO and get his opinion on standing, but I was shocked because all I have ever heard was that it was a good thing. Don't know if Anthony has osteo but don't think so. Doesn't standing prevent this also?? Any comments are appreciated.
    Glad you have a good head on your shoulders.
    Last edited by -scott-; 10-02-2007 at 05:37 PM.

yeah i'm really confused about her comments, maybe the PT just caught her in a bad mood, but geesh. Anyway going on as planned. Thanks
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

Maybe you need to find a different physiatrist. While it is true that standing alone will not either prevent or treat osteoporosis, there are many other benefits or regular (daily) standing such as:
    • Decreased problems with orthostatic hypotension
    • Reduced spasticity
    • Reduced problems with hip or knee flexion contractures
    • Reduced problems with drop-foot contractures
    • Improved bowel motility (decreased constipation)
    • Psychological benefits of standing and looking others in the eye for a change.
    (KLD)

i agree. absolutely do not attempt to weight bear at all unless you get a dexa scan first. if you do, you could end up with a bunch of tiny fractures and serious AD.

the benefits would not outweigh the risks.

If he hasn't stood since his injury a bone scan is the best thing to do. You don't want to create anymore problems, but standing is definitely good. Get the scan and then stand as much as possible.

Ant has stood before we used to have a tilt table and he has been going to PT now for about 3 months. He never gets AD for anything. But am waiting to hear about his bone density. thanks
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003