Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Why can't I do this??

  1. #1

    Angry Why can't I do this??

    I have noticed that there a large number of people both here on CC and not that have a higher level of injury then myself and are able to do the braces thing. What the heck is wrong with me that I am having such a hard time? For those of you who don't know, I am a T12 incomplete. It is just so aggrivated hearing or reading that people who have higher levels of injury are able to do something that I still can't. Is this wrong or selfish of me?

    Becky,
    Chicago
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

    I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

  2. #2
    Becky,

    What is the "braces thing"? If you're talking about using them for accessibility, I don't do that at all. I tried and it was a slow and exhausting process. Plus my ass had no comfortable seat to sit in without my cushion.


  3. #3
    It's not wrong or selfish to have these feelings. SCI is frustrating. One of those things that's really hard to realize is that is that no two SCI are alike, despite having similiar ASIA scores.
    Daniel

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    Becky,

    What is the "braces thing"? If you're talking about using them for accessibility, I don't do that at all. I tried and it was a slow and exhausting process. Plus my ass had no comfortable seat to sit in without my cushion.
    Todd,
    I am talking about using them for anything, even the slightest bit. I guess not having my beautiful cushion to sit on would be depressing for a little while but, I miss not sitting all the time. I know dumb.

    Becky,
    Chicago
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

    I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    It's not wrong or selfish to have these feelings. SCI is frustrating. One of those things that's really hard to realize is that is that no two SCI are alike, despite having similiar ASIA scores.
    Dan,
    No I know that every SCI is different from person to person. I guess its just the frustration. I was at PT today and didn't feel like I accomplished anything other then a really good sweat. I HATE BEING FRUSTRATED AND NOT BEING ABLE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Becky,
    Chicago

    (sorry for the release of frustration)
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

    I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons
    Todd,
    I am talking about using them for anything, even the slightest bit. I guess not having my beautiful cushion to sit on would be depressing for a little while but, I miss not sitting all the time. I know dumb.

    Becky,
    Chicago
    Becky,

    Even using braces for exercise can be depressing and frustrating. You've got to put them on, you're confined inside a contraption, your range of movement is limited, etc. Keeping the motivation to continue using them is difficult.


  7. #7
    Hello Becky, You don't sound selfish or anything, we all have feelings that we don't do as well as others or envy what they are capable of. Just keep the faith and take your own personal progress a day at a time. Just knowing that you try as hard as you do and not giving up gives hope to others that are just now begining their own progress.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    Becky,

    Even using braces for exercise can be depressing and frustrating. You've got to put them on, you're confined inside a contraption, your range of movement is limited, etc. Keeping the motivation to continue using them is difficult.
    Todd,
    You are right they are very unnatural but after only four years post, sitting is still unnatural many times, especially the life style that I led up until my injury. I guess I am unclear as to where to get, or how to keep that motivation.

    Becky,
    Chicago
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

    I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

  9. #9
    I think your next logical step is to find a Project Walk-esque program and develop an strengthening regimen to get your legs/trunk stronger. You mentioned you have some gains, you might find other muscles have atrophied but are connected. I say this because I have seen people in the program I'm in go from "nothing" - years out - to awakening muscles and walking. The goal is to get beyond those heavy braces and develop leg strength.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMark
    Hello Becky, You don't sound selfish or anything, we all have feelings that we don't do as well as others or envy what they are capable of. Just keep the faith and take your own personal progress a day at a time. Just knowing that you try as hard as you do and not giving up gives hope to others that are just now begining their own progress.
    Mark,
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I want to be able to not only help others but help myself also. Unfortuanately, the latter is so much more difficult sometimes. Like I said to Todd, I am just a little unclear as to how to keep my motivation.

    Becky,
    Chicago
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

    I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •