Thread: Dr. or Nurse question-Scoliosis and AD

Dr. or Nurse question-Scoliosis and AD

I have painful scoliosis, not a new topic for me, but lately it's becoming worse. In the last couple weeks I get a slight case of AD at night. It's mostly mild sweating, but since I've had a Baclofen pump installed 2-3 years ago I barely sweat with AD anyway. Now I start sweating when I sleep on my right side which is the outward side of my curve. It's also the side where my pump sort of protrudes. Could sleeping on the ribs or pump cause AD? My BP goes to around 190/90 and will drop if I sit up. The sweating also goes away sitting up or sleeping on the other side. The BP cuff is a $45.00 Wal-Mart special but should be pretty close. WR

The irritation from the pump could trigger the AD.My lumbar scoliosis is convex to the left.Sleeping on my right side seems to help although one physiatrist says it can not be reversed.

Yes, it could be causing the AD. I would get the scoliosis checked out or just not sleep on your right side.

JM

My scoliosis is pronounced but not causing any problems, however I 'curve' to the left like a banana and never sleep or lay on my right side. Doesn't cause AD, but is uncomfortable. For all I know it may now, but I haven't been on that side to check.

I don't think, IMHO, that the scoliosis would abruptly change enough to cause AD, and I would say the same of the pump. Having said this, if your normally low BP goes up to 190/90 the 'protrusion' of the pump may be the problem, but the onset being years later is likely.

I know its difficult to isolate or define these nebulous feeling one gets after SCI though, you being a SCI vet know better than I to track it down before it gets worse

I always laid on the convex side, same side as pump, because it was more comfortable, but just started the other side. It is uncomfortable, but I'm getting use to it and it's better than AD.I'm working on the scoliosis JM through the VA. They can't get me in till mid May but after that maybe things will speed up. It's my fault for letting it get worse.WR

Have never had any AD from my scoliosis, but do have the constant off-balance feeling that has me always fidgeting in my chair and struggling to reach things, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of my back pain (at least the area between the spine where the curve really takes off) is scoliosis related. I sleep on my back, so I couldn't tell you if laying on my curved side causes a problem.

Notice how there are no good side effects of SCI?

Alan

There's a fungus among us, and I'm not lichen it!

Nerve Center Telnet BBS - tncbbs.no-ip.com