Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinergy Wheel Bearing Replacement

Spinergy Wheel Bearing Replacement

Anyone tried knocking out their wheel bearings and pressing in new ones on their spinergy wheels? Bearings in my wheels have certainly seen better days and need replacing, just trying to get an idea whether this is possible as a do it yourself operation or if special equipment is needed.

I used to do bearing replacement on my bike hubs which look pretty similar but experience is a wonderful thing and if I can benefit from any of yours then so much the better.
    Russ - T2 complete

I had to replace a bearing in the spinergy wheel...because I figured out the reason why my wheel would not turn is because somehow I lost it out of the hub. It was easy to replace...just snapped it in myself...no special tools needed.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Just check tghe phone book for bearing stores. They should be a standard industrial bearing size.

Getting them from a supply shop will be much cheaper than from a Spinergy dealer.

They're not the same as a bike hub. 90% of hubs are free bearing setups, where as theses are cartridge bearings, like a duallies pivots.

Yep - know all about getting bearings from bearing shops - and my bike hubs (well the ones on my best bikes) were of the 10% type with cartridge bearings (Hope) :-) But thanks for the heads up.

Right - time to take a hammer to my spinergies cause there's no way the old ones are going to push out.
    Russ - T2 complete

KAAA-CHING...... Yup that'd be the 10%..

Do Spins have a spacer tube? I'd say be gentle, but you've had Hopes, so you know.

Before replacing the bearings put the new bearings in the freezer this will make them contract a little. Then take a hair dryer and heat the bearing hub, this will make the hub expand a thousands or two. Then knock out the bearings. They should come out fairly easy. After the new bearings have been in the freezer for 15 minutes or so, reheat the bearing hub with the hair dryer. Then install the frozen bearings in the hub. They should install with very little effort.

Ah yes - thanks. Had forgotten the freezer trick, was wondering about heating the hub though to help ease the old ones out.

Righto - off to the bearing shop.
    Russ - T2 complete

Hammer. Screwdriver. $12 tube of bearings... Priceless.

No real special procedure needed to change them, just beat them out and then tap the new ones in. TiLite's parts PDF gives the exact bearing size in the hubs of these wheels, then an on-line bearing supplier is your next stop. Or you could pay more from a more retail-type place such as SportAid.

a couple of years ago i accidently knocked out the bearings on both my spider wheels (which i got from rgk). when i rang rgk, the guy said that when replacing them i should put a slick of bostick on the outside to make the seal. i dont know what the north american equivslant of bostick is, but its a clear, multipurpose glue. its safe to give to kids and it doesnt make permanant bond. good for paper, fabric, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by russ1
    Ah yes - thanks. Had forgotten the freezer trick, was wondering about heating the hub though to help ease the old ones out.

Righto - off to the bearing shop.

Heating the hub with a hair dryer will not hurt them. I've done it a few times with no troubles.