Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The difficulty of the Noachian Flood Story

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    Wise,

In the above, did you perhaps mean to say that it is not difficult...?
    I think that even the most bible-bound Christians accept heliocentrism.
    Ooops, you are right. I meant *not* difficult. If they can accept heliocentrism, why is it so difficult for them to accept the old earth concept or even evolution? After all, God made evolution and evolution resulted in the enormous variety of animals, plants, and microorganisms that we have today.

Wise.

Love the ARK drawing.
    Think about it though with one animal supposedly on the ARK for 40 days and nights. The elephant. Now this is one species.

The ark was reported as 450 ft.x 75 ft. X 45 ft.
    OK. Even if Noah and co. did bring two 10-12 year old juvenile elephants on board they would weigh in at around 4,000 lbs. To stay healthy for the trip and in a condition to multiply after the trip they would require around 8800 lbs. of fodder.

If they were both adults..well double these figures.
    That's just one large species. In a wooden boat.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

You're trying to apply logic to the supernatural. Having fodder, disposing of waste, etc., would have been done by magic, as would have been the creation of everything. Given that, it would be equally possible for the universe/world to have been created yesterday, along with all our memories, geologic features (fossils & sediments; ratio of isotopes, etc.), and the light flying around between the stars, as it to have been created 6000 years ago, or 6 trillion. That cannot be disproven, although I too consider it to be extremely unlikely - indeed, vanishingly probable.
    - Richard

floods and more floods

Do you have any idea on how much water it would take to cover the earth up to the top of the mountains? Where did this water go?

All of the earth was covered in water billions of years ago. Then there was the continental shift that made the mountains over a billion years and still it!

The debate between creationists and science is a waste of time. The religious nuts believe in Faith so anything goes. They can claim that the geologic evidence and carbon dating is part of Gods will. So why even try to “prove” the flood? They do not need proof because they have faith.

The only reason creationists need to prove their believe is because they need to be able to force it on us in schools! (Also it seems to me that if they truly believe then they would not care what other people think, unless there is doubt in their mind! So they need proof to keep their faith!)

Yes, there is flood myths from all over the world including the American Indians. But when the ice ages ended it created floods. In the US the melting glaciers created lakes the size of many states. Glaciers create “dams” they are called moraines. You can see them in the north they look like tall rock piles miles long. When these dams broke it created 100 foot walls of water. Grand Canyon was created by the breaking of these dams over a millions years at the end of dozens of ice ages. There were Glaciers all over the world, so it is not surprising that they had these flood myths. Also earth quakes have caused floods by breaking dams. Archeologists have proven that there was a local flood in the middle east caused by the breaking of a natural lake dam, it was on Discovery.

Now they have found that a meteor caused the end of ice age and mass extensions in north America about 10,000 years ago and a meteor hit the middle east about 4,000 years ago. I suspect that meteor and comet hits are a lot more common that thought.
    What would a meteor hit in the ocean do to cause a flood?

Did not know that about 600 years ago a massive earthquake off the coast of Oregon and Washington caused a 100 foot tidal wave. The pressure on the subduction zone has been building up since then and can go anytime now, good by Portland! The American Indians have passed down stories of do not make a village at the coast because it will be washed away.

So there is reason for flood myths because there have been many floods and will be more to come.
    Last edited by ettakemehome; 01-08-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: miss spelling

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf
    You're trying to apply logic to the supernatural. Having fodder, disposing of waste, etc., would have been done by magic, as would have been the creation of everything.
    Yup, that's what I was thinking while reading this thread. I find it fascinating how many people will expend energy trying to disprove this particular myth by focusing on the ark and its occupants while appearing to accept without question the idea that the Xian god whipped up a world wide deluge that lasted for exactly 40 days and 40 nights and somehow literally covered the entire planet in water, destroying every other living thing. How is that part of the story irreproachable?

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Yup, that's what I was thinking while reading this thread. I find it fascinating how many people will expend energy trying to disprove this particular myth by focusing on the ark and its occupants while appearing to accept without question the idea that the Xian god whipped up a world wide deluge that lasted for exactly 40 days and 40 nights and somehow literally covered the entire planet in water, destroying every other living thing. How is that part of the story irreproachable?

C.
    I consider the book of Genesis to be as literal as the book of Revelation.

this cartoon makes about as much sence as Noah's flood
    oh well

Weird. I got into with my mom about Noah's Ark on the way to rehab last week. I asked her the same exact questions Dr. Young asks. She couldn't answer them, other than. "God's will".....right!

Sorry to say, but it's such a ridiculous unrealistic story.

People back in those days believed in witches and the like. I am not discrediting the bible, but as we've evolved I think it's safe to say that a lot of it should be seen as metaphoric and not literal.

Perhaps there was a flood, but I doubt it engulfed the entire earth, I bet the only animals he had were his pets. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Imight
    People back in those days believed in witches and the like.
    Some of us still do.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing

C.
    The story is about Noah and the Ark surviving a flood that whiped out the rest of the living world.

Well that's the way the story goes. Included in a book that is most likely one of the most powerful books ever written.

We all know there can be floods..but of this magnitude that one would have to build this ARK? That's where I call BS. Also after a flood of this type the land and water would be poisoned beyond capable of sustaining the lives of anything on the ARK except maybe flies and rats.

So if everything is a parable or a metaphor..what is the truth?
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.