Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The difficulty of the Noachian Flood Story

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    i thought the great flood was coming...global warming...
    So DA are you building a handicap accessible ARK?
    You better make that door VERY wide to make it accessible to a humpback whale oh yeah two of them.

And very tall so the two giraffes won't have to bend down so far they can't get back up.

Be sure to seperate the predators from the prey.
    Or you will be missing a whole bunch of bunnies and the like. Be sure your wood doesn't leak cause you are gonna need a HUGE swimming pool or many of your passengers will be floating bottom up before you leave port.

Didn't believe the Ark fairytale as a kid and still don't believe it. Somebody was on Biblical whacky bacci and just started writing like Granny Goose.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Don't forget the amoebae. One would be sufficient (of each species, mind), although it says "two by two". And the smallpox virus. And dengue. And HIV - that guy evolves fast, better bring a selection. Who's volunteering to carry it?
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf
    Don't forget the amoebae. One would be sufficient (of each species, mind), although it says "two by two". And the smallpox virus. And dengue. And HIV - that guy evolves fast, better bring a selection. Who's volunteering to carry it?
    - Richard
    hehe good one rfbdorf.....lol.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

history channel

recently did a Noah's arc story breakdown and there were quite a few theories used to support the story. One was that the bible says that the animals were only the "sacrificial" animals and when the count was finished it was just over 160 of the "clean animals" and not every animal in existance. They also portrayed Noah as being a wealthy merchant who ran trade (businessman) assumably all of this was taken in the context it was written. Also, the Cedars of Lebanon were mentioned as being the possible source for the wood and mentioned other written text for various notable people in the area who had subcontracted this wood for ship building as well as the fabled King Solomons Temple. As Dr. Young mentioned in an earlier thread the flood may have been more regional, and many civilizations were within trade route distance to the flood itself which would have led to multiple sources of flood mythology. While the story may not be true as it is told in the Old Testament verbatim, it may be possible. Also, one of the men who originally discovered the pieces of wood in an expedition on Mt. Ararat in Turkey early this century had done an engineering analysis done for the size and shape of the arc and after his death his son sent the information to a marine architect who (on the show also) said that the engineering for height, length and width were in fact doable and fell within the modern engineering guidlines for large ship building. I thought it was interesting when they proposed science and known history to support the theory of the flood myth, while of course leaving the proof of concept for people to judge themselves.

Storytelling being a rather large thang in olden days, I suspect that there was some original grain of truth to the Noah's ark tale that was made larger than life over time.

Quote Originally Posted by gpbullock
    recently did a Noah's arc story breakdown and there were quite a few theories used to support the story. One was that the bible says that the animals were only the "sacrificial" animals and when the count was finished it was just over 160 of the "clean animals" and not every animal in existance. They also portrayed Noah as being a wealthy merchant who ran trade (businessman) assumably all of this was taken in the context it was written. Also, the Cedars of Lebanon were mentioned as being the possible source for the wood and mentioned other written text for various notable people in the area who had subcontracted this wood for ship building as well as the fabled King Solomons Temple. As Dr. Young mentioned in an earlier thread the flood may have been more regional, and many civilizations were within trade route distance to the flood itself which would have led to multiple sources of flood mythology. While the story may not be true as it is told in the Old Testament verbatim, it may be possible. Also, one of the men who originally discovered the pieces of wood in an expedition on Mt. Ararat in Turkey early this century had done an engineering analysis done for the size and shape of the arc and after his death his son sent the information to a marine architect who (on the show also) said that the engineering for height, length and width were in fact doable and fell within the modern engineering guidlines for large ship building. I thought it was interesting when they proposed science and known history to support the theory of the flood myth, while of course leaving the proof of concept for people to judge themselves.
    I guess the author of the story in the Bible was not telling the truth. The way the program skewed the actual Biblical story pretty much nullifies both the story and the ones explaining the errors in the story. You don't get these side-bar explanations when your being TAUGHT the Bible. You either believe the words or you are a goner. No side-bars in Bible Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendell
    Storytelling being a rather large thang in olden days, I suspect that there was some original grain of truth to the Noah's ark tale that was made larger than life over time.
    Maybe storytelling is the problem.
    Genesis chapters 6 thru 9 tells the story of Noah and the Ark.
    These words are reported as being the DIRECT words of God to Moses who was the reporter to the rest of the world.

In those words God destroyed every living thing minus the occupants of the Ark. Gp says only sacrificial animals were taken on the Ark..Moses said two by two for clean animals and seven of the other type. All the creepy crawling things on Earth.

SO if it is true all life was destroyed with the 40 day and night flood..how did every animal on Earth like the Creationists claim was created by God during his six days of creation fit into an Ark the size in Cubits given to Noah as his instruction to build?

I believe in God. But have many doubts about his reporting staff. From the first chapter in Genesis to the last chapter in Revelations.

Like the story of Jonah and Job, I really believe many of those stories are parables or allegories of higher truths.

translation

who was/is responsible for the translation from hebrew or aramaic to english? How do the languages transfer to each other. Things can be gained and lost in translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    Like the story of Jonah and Job, I really believe many of those stories are parables or allegories of higher truths.
    And I believe that the particulars of the discussion of "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" can morph and multiply endlessly.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane