Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SCI Parents roll call

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    Two boys 31, 29 in Tennessee? Hmmmmm Oldest has wife what about youngest?
    Sorry addiesue, subjects concerning the 29 year old are mostly "family only." Most large families have their unfortunate secrets; our's is no exception.

...Oh wait! Are you trolling for a guy here? I have seen pictures of you, and I hardly think THAT'S necessary.

Only joking.... Thanks for the compliment though.

My hat is off to all of you raising kids w/ your injuries-that's super!. No kids here, we'll probably adopt one day.

So, I started taking care of (two hours 2x /week-basically being a taxi to) an 8 and 11 year old. I'm having a lot of anxiety. For you other quads-don't you fear being in difficult prediciments like w/ choking and such?
    I know you do what you need to, but this injury makes me me feel so nervous w/ children now. Just wondering.
    -Shannon

I'm not a quad but I know what you are saying. It wsa horrifying to me when my son fell one time. I thought he was really hurt and it took me so freaking long to push throught the gravel and then weeds to where he was. I was cussing I couldn't get out and run. He was fine by the way. I don't know a solution besides always keep the phone close just in case. That way you don't waste time going to get it in a true emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by quad79
    For you other quads-don't you fear being in difficult prediciments like w/ choking and such?
    I know you do what you need to, but this injury makes me me feel so nervous w/ children now. Just wondering.
    -Shannon
    That would be bad. Hopefully there would be people around to help if something like that were to happen.

I remember watching our daughter fall off the couch onto her head when she was 2 that immediately formed a goose egg. I felt like the worst parent ever. I wasn't alone in the house with her, but not being able to snap to action and physically take control of the situation does suck. I just do what I can to handle situations verbally.

Now that she's almost 4 I feel fine being alone with her, but I'm constantly watching to see what she's doing. I definitely wouldn't pass up the chance to be a parent because of SCI. Not to mention the help they can be to you.

Worst parent ever? How about losing your kid in a crowd of 10,000 people? Security found him and passed him off to the cops before I was able to report him missing. They had just called his step father when I showed up. The cop car comes pulling up with Cole in the back, I said, 'Hey Cole, I hope you liked being in the back of a cop car, because you sure ain't gonna like it so much in ten years!'

Quote Originally Posted by christopher
    Worst parent ever? How about losing your kid in a crowd of 10,000 people? Security found him and passed him off to the cops before I was able to report him missing. They had just called his step father when I showed up. The cop car comes pulling up with Cole in the back, I said, 'Hey Cole, I hope you liked being in the back of a cop car, because you sure ain't gonna like it so much in ten years!'
    Holy Crap, that sounds scary. I'm glad it had a happy ending.

c-6-7, 6 1/2 years post. dad to 17 year old son.

i just got him full time as of feb. this year cause his mom was killed in a car accident. he's pretty self sufficient being 17 but GOD it's mind-racking trying to keep up with a teens wants and needs.

i applaud his mom for being able to do what she did the 8 yrs we were divorced. she never remarried but went thru a series of bad relationships and was also raising an autistic 3 yr. old with no father in his life at all.

C5 Incomplete, 9 years post. Father of two, son 33, daughter 30 and grandpa of two.

C 6/7 incomplete five years post father to an eight year old son named Nevada