Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: macrobid any relation to sulfa drugs?

macrobid any relation to sulfa drugs?

I have been prescribed 10 days of Macrobid for a UTI, and I can't remember if I've taken it before. I'm a little paranoid because I had a violent reaction to Bactrim and I think I may be allergic to sulfa drugs, and I just wanted to make sure 100% that they aren't related, and I couldn't find a good enough answer with a google search.

I know Macrobid is a popular antibiotic for UTI, is it pretty easy to handle with few side effects or am I going to feel horrible for the next week?
    Last edited by Cory-M; 09-28-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Hi Cory-M,

I've been on macrobid for about a week now and the only effects have been darker pee and I feel a little more tired. My doc said it's pretty tolerable as they give it to pregnant women. I looked and did see anything about sulfa drugs.
    Hope you feel better soon!

did you have a culture sensitivity test ?dont use the popular antibiotic for uti ...use the right one.....[the one who kills the bug ]
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by Cory-M
    I have been prescribed 10 days of Macrobid for a UTI, and I can't remember if I've taken it before. I'm a little paranoid because I had a violent reaction to Bactrim and I think I may be allergic to sulfa drugs, and I just wanted to make sure 100% that they aren't related, and I couldn't find a good enough answer with a google search.

I know Macrobid is a popular antibiotic for UTI, is it pretty easy to handle with few side effects or am I going to feel horrible for the next week?
    Cory, macrobid is Nitrofurantoin. It is not a sulfa antibiotic. You are correct that if you are sensitive to sulfa drugs, you should not take Bactrim. Here is its structure:

It works by damaging bacterial DNA. Once the molecule enters bacteria, the durg is rapidly reduced by the flavoprotein nitrofuran reductase to reactive intermediates that attack ribosomal proteins, DNA, respiration, pyruvate metabolism, and other macromolecules.

Nitrofurantoin is antagonized by the quinolone antibiotics (which include the fluoruoquinolones such as Cipro) and therefore the two types of antibotics should not be taken together. Resistance to nitrofurantoin mainly arises from inhibition of flavoprotein nitrofuran reductase and is apparently rare. Therefore, low-dose nitrofurantoin is sometimes used for long term prophylactic treatment of urinary tracts to prevent infections.

The molecule is secreted by the kidneys. Note that if there is renal disease, the drug is less secreted into urine and therefore it is less effective when there is renal disease that compromise kidney function. It is clinically proven to be effective against Escherischia coli and Staphylococcus saprophyticus, and may have effects on other species.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 09-28-2007 at 08:09 PM.

Thank you very much for the info. I did have a C&S and it was specific for Nitrofurantoine or Macrobid. You can really make yourself nervous when you start reading all the possible side effects, for some reason I haven't taken this one as often but I know it's common.

Thanks

I've never met an antibiotic that I didn't fall in love with. They work and I have zero discernable side effects from any of them. Lucky I guess. Just don't take Augmentin on an empty stomach... big mistake!

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    I've never met an antibiotic that I didn't fall in love with. They work and I have zero discernable side effects from any of them. Lucky I guess. Just don't take Augmentin on an empty stomach... big mistake!

Bob.
    i agree bob ,,,,but some strong ones can cause c diff...i almost died 3 years ago.
    is like an atomic bomb regarding intestinal fora.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    i agree bob ,,,,but some strong ones can cause c diff...i almost died 3 years ago.
    is like an atomic bomb regarding intestinal fora.
    You should probably eat a lot of yogurt and take "probiotics" if you get C. Diff when you take antibiotics. Like I said, I'm just lucky that I'm not allergic to anything and antibiotics don't effect my intestinal flora to the negative degree that they must effect yours.

Hang in there Adi, you've had your share of setbacks.

Do you have dual citizenship, US and Romania?

Have you considered trying to get the RIC, the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago for a complete workup? If possible.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

The Urologist group I use in Shreveport, Louisiana is Regional Urology. My Uro told me once they (there are 18 Urologists at this one facility) prescribe Macrobid, and I quote, "Like candy".

I was told you can take it long-term (the long being undefined) with virtually no adverse affects. He indicated Macrobid's action is specifically limited to the urinary tract.

Bob Clark,

I hate to say this, but if that is your avatar, you're kinda' homely.

Schmecky, only as homely as your avatar is apparently priceless

+1 on that Augmentin - I had to take it once following my hospital stay for sepsis in August '06. Vile stuff indeed......clears everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, out of your system. Good food, bad food, bland, spicy, whatever food tasted........like nothing. Just nothing. Hardly appetizing. I didn't get c.diff but it was still an experience worth avoiding. Oral clindamycin a couple yrs before had a similar effect, fortunately only 4 days and not 10

I had an ad lib Rx for Macrobid for about 9 months or so, can't really say it helped and may possibly have contributed to my sepsis case, although in hindsight changing to a different catheter may have made a much bigger difference. It also had some side effects, pretty minimal but definitely bothersome. Macrobid may or may not be better indicated now than it was then, but so long as I stay UTI free, I'm not going to change a good thing.

Tom