Thread: Alternate-day Fasting

Alternate-day Fasting

Hmmm, never heard of this diet.

Alternate-day Fasting: How Good Is It For Your Health?
    Science Daily — Researchers report that fasting or eating half as much as usual every other day may shrink your fat cells and boost mechanisms that break down fats.

Consuming less calories and increasing physical activity is usually what people do to lose weight and stay healthy. But some people prefer to adopt a diet which consists of eating as much as they want one day while fasting the next. On each fasting day, these people consume energy-free beverages, tea, coffee, and sugar-free gum and they drink as much water as they need.

Although many people claim that this diet, called alternate-day fasting (ADF), help them lose weight and improved their health, the effects on health and disease risk of ADF are not clear.

Krista Varady and colleagues studied the effects of alternate-day fasting on 24 male mice for four weeks. To assess the impact of ADF on the health of the mice, the scientists not only tested mice that followed and didn't follow an ADF diet, but they also studied mice that followed the diet only partially: a group of mice consumed 50 percent of their regular diet every other day (ADF-50%) and another consumed 75 percent of their regular diet every other day (ADF-25%).

The scientists noticed that the ADF-100% mice lost weight and the fat cells of both the ADF-100% and ADF-50% groups shrunk by more than half and by 35 percent, respectively. Also, in these two groups of mice, fat under the skin -- but not abdominal fat -- was broken down more than in mice that did not follow the diet....
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0917144537.htm

About a week or two ago, ADF came up in casual conversation. I heard you live a lot longer doing ADF.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    About a week or two ago, ADF came up in casual conversation. I heard you live a lot longer doing ADF.
    Actually it just seems a lot longer.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

For the past 11 months, I have been practicing my own variation of ADF. Inspired by a post here at CC, I adhere to a zero calorie diet on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Those days start with the usual dose of black coffee. The rest of the day, I drink water. The exceptions...I have ignored this diet for two social occasions (one of them being the CC Orlando open house) and once I ate some soup on a fast day when I was sick. I have also added unsweetened cranberry juice (yuck!) to the water (50/50 mix) when my urine gets smelly.

So far. it agrees with me. My weight has stabilized (slow, slight reduction). I don't really get hungry on fast days, but I miss the sensory and social pleasure of eating and drinking on those days. I have become too sedentary, but the diet lets me eat and drink without restraint five days each week without weight gain. I do abstinence better than moderation. I was losing weight when I was more physically active. I hope to increase my activity - maybe maƱana.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 09-28-2007 at 07:56 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

hmm.. I thought fasting everyother day was a way to gain weight.
    Isn't it the technique that was used to get prisoners back into shape after WWII?
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrauer
    hmm.. I thought fasting everyother day was a way to gain weight.
    Isn't it the technique that was used to get prisoners back into shape after WWII?
    I can only share what I know from personal experience.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

This is a little off topic, but similar concept.

Did anyone catch Dr. Oz on Oprah? He was answering questions from the audience. And one girl asked about diets like this, only she was doing 3-4 day detox diet. And he looked into it and compared a group who ate just healthy food (veggies, nothing processed, fruit, etc) and the group who did the detox diet (shakes etc)

"It had no impact at all," Dr. Oz says. "I was surprised by this, because I really thought we'd see more of an effect."
    http://www.oprah.com/health/oz/oz_20..._350_116.jhtml

It looks like he's going to be on next week or today?