Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: prostate infection?

prostate infection?

From my reading here, I've sadly learned that urinary tract infections are just something that I'll have to live with. But my last 2 infections were pretty bad and spread to my prostate. I'm only 25 and thought people my age did not get prostate problems. Has anybody else had this problem and do the things that prevent bladder infections (like cranberry juice) work for prostate infections? Any tips would be appreciated because I'm not used to being sick every few weeks.

I did a search on this site but didn't come up with much.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=8021

Sometimes IV antibiotics are the only thing that works. Make sure you get UTIs diagnosed right away and if your doctor gives you oral antibiotics, make sure you ask for 14 day course instead of the short course.
    Daniel

Oh yeah, and read the sticky about Clean Intermittent Cath.

New Clinical Practice Guideline for Clean Intermittent Cath
    Daniel

Before I had my injury I had a prostate infection at age 25. I found it very difficult to treat but did eventually get rid of it with antibiotics. I am sure that someone having a lot of UTIs caused by catheratization is probably more likely to ge prostate infections as well. Prostate infectiions can begin at any age. When the subject of prostate problems come up most people are thinking of prostate enlargement or cancer. Now that is a issue that occurs as men get older and have nothing to do with infections.
    mike

Sean,

I don't think it is unusual considering all of those systems are interconnected for the body to function. The poorer function and irritation to our organs are likely going to create problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    Before I had my injury I had a prostate infection at age 25. I found it very difficult to treat but did eventually get rid of it with antibiotics. I am sure that someone having a lot of UTIs caused by catheratization is probably more likely to ge prostate infections as well. Prostate infectiions can begin at any age. When the subject of prostate problems come up most people are thinking of prostate enlargement or cancer. Now that is a issue that occurs as men get older and have nothing to do with infections.
    Thank you for the information, Mike. I didn't realize young people can get prostate infections. Good to know that it's not that uncommon.

Only young men.
    Prostatitis can occur in any aged male. It does seem to be more common in those with SCI who cath etc... I don't know if I have ever read exact numbers.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    From my reading here, I've sadly learned that urinary tract infections are just something that I'll have to live with. But my last 2 infections were pretty bad and spread to my prostate. I'm only 25 and thought people my age did not get prostate problems. Has anybody else had this problem and do the things that prevent bladder infections (like cranberry juice) work for prostate infections? Any tips would be appreciated because I'm not used to being sick every few weeks.
    Hi HardLuck,

You need to get the infection in your prostate cleared up with the right antibiotics.

Next month it will be 2 years since I've had a UTI or even a bacterial colonization (as far as I know). I used to get them 4-6 times a year and I was always bacterially colonized. Constant cloudy, smelly urine and bladder spasms, etc.

I can't emphasize too much the importance of being very clean about the intermittent catheterization procedure. I've written about this ad nauseum and the Nurses here don't approve of my procedure because it involves hydrogen peroxide. But if you want to try something that really works, I'll write about it one last time.

First off, either my prostate is enlarged or my bladder sphincter is tight but I can no longer leak a drop. It's been this way for about 20 years... I forget, it's been so long. I like it this way since I no longer get wet, need any anticholinergic agents or need to wear those annoying external catheters and legbags.... my boy is always FREE! Since I can no longer leak a drop or void a stream my urethra is no longer "naturally" flushed out so all the "traffic" is going one way... inward... and that puts me at a disadvantage so am more prone to UTIs.

Now there are a few ways to do this but I'll go through my routine. It may sound a bit complicated or time consuming but it really isn't, once you get the drill down.

1- Wash my hands in the kitchen sink (maybe after doing a few dishes) with detergent and warm water to get the "heavy stuff" off my hands. Wheelchairs are filthy things... the wheels and the push rims pick up all the bacteria that's on the floor... and if you have any pets in the house (I have a greyhound) it's even worse.

2- In the other side of my dual kitchen sink I keep a big bowl (lettuce crisper) of water, a shot of dish detergent and about 10% liquid bleach. Using a wash cloth I thoroughly wash my hands in the solution for about 1 minute.... making sure I get under the fingernails etc. I refill this once daily.

3- With a paper towel in each hand I wheel into the bathroom.

4- Then I put a bath towel under my scrotum and and straddle it across my legs to hold my urinal but especially to absorb all the hydrogen peroxide (HP) I'm about to make a mess with.

5- Then in a 13 ounce Palmolive dish detergent bottle that has been thorougly cleaned out, I fill it up with 3% (common percentage sold in most stores... but check to make sure it's 3% for safety's sake) hydrogen peroxide. Any detergent bottle thats has a smooth rounded cap on it will do. The detergent bottle caps used to fit on the 16 ounce HP bottles but they've changed the threading lately. Dammit. Then I throw the paper towels in the waste basket, pick up the bottle of hydrogen peroxide with my right hand and with the other hand I open up the meatus of my penis and while placing the rounded end of the Palmolive dish detergent bottle against it, I squirt with medium pressure, the HP inside my urethra. My guess is that it squirts in there about an inch. I do this 4-5 times and it backsplashes, so watch your eyes.

6- Then I rinse my hands and forearms off under warm water... to get the bleach/detergent solution off of them. Then I spray my urinal rim, my forearms and hands with 70% isopropyl alcohol that I have in a cleaned out Windex bottle. I soak them with it and then wash my hands with the alcohol.

7- Then with a 16 ounce bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide in it, where I store my 14fr clear self-cath catheter, I rinse the alcohol off my right hand (my clean hand) and fingers by grasping the bottle by its neck and turning it upside down. I do this 3-4 times until I feel the alcohol is off of them.

Perhaps if you use Germ-X or Purell you could forego all the handwashing that I do. But wash your hands well before using the Germ-X or Purell in order to get the heavy concentration of bacteria off of your hands first.

8- Then while holding the bottle with my right hand, I remove the catheter from the bottle, grabbing the catheter by the colored funnel end with my left hand/fingers. I hold the insertion end upward so the HP drips down onto my left hand... I don't want anything from my "dirty" left hand to get onto the catheter. After it's removed from the bottle, I grab the end of the catheter about 4 inches from the insertion end with the fingers of my right hand and slowly insert it all the way into my bladder and catheterize into the urinal. I can easily hold up to 1200ccs but at times have cathed as much as 1600ccs... way too much, but whatcha gonna do?! I don't use any lubrication like K-Y Jelly or Surgilube... the HP lubes fine and also kills bacteria as it procedes through my urethra. If you need lube, then use it, but make sure it's sterile.

9- When I'm done emptying my bladder I slowly pull out the catheter and a bit more urine drains. As soon as no urine is coming out I put my finger over the funnel end of the catheter, pull it out slowly and then release my finger from the funnel end and the residual urine that's in the catheter drains into the urinal. I no longer even have any gook or sediment etc. in the very tip of the catheter. My urine is always non-cloudy and either smells like coffee (yeah, I drink a lot of coffee!), normal urine or nothing at all. It's great.

10- I then reach over and empty the urinal into the toilet and rinse the catheter out in warm water. Then I give it a cool rinse. If you don't give it a cool rinse it will contract in the cool HP bottle and may be difficult to get out of the bottle the next time I catheterize. That can be a bitch! I also always flick the very tip of the catheter to get any urine or water out of it before winding it back into the HP bottle.

11- Then I rinse out the urinal with water a few times. I then remove the bath towel and wring the excess HP from the bath towel into the sink. Hey, its' my sink.. I live alone! Then if I need to, I refill both the 13 ounce Palmolive dish detergent bottle and the 16 ounce bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide that contains my catheter from a quart-sized bottle of HP so they're ready for the next use.

12- I then spray everything with the 70% isopropyl alcohol or Lysol spray before leaving the bathroom.

13- I'm circumsized but if you're not you may have bacteria growing in smegma or just in the foreskin area so you may need to pay a bit more attention to that area with the HP. If anything starts to foam, then you know that you're killing bacteria. Keep squirting any white foam away with the HP until it's no longer there.

14- I used to inject with a large syringe about a 1/2 ounce of HP about 5 inches into my urethra before every catheterization. I only do that every couple or few days now... whenever I get the urge! But that may be a bit of overkill and could be harmful, I don't know. I injected it into my urethra as I pulled the 5 inch long catheter attached to the large syringe out for about a year and a half and never had any bleeding or adverse effects that I could determine.

15- I use the same catheter that's stored in the HP bottle for up to 3 months. I could use it longer but they tend to stiffen up after a couple/few months and I wouldn't want to put the catheter manufacturers out of business!

HERE's a Word Document that I wrote over a year ago. Take from it what you will. What I wrote above is a slight deviation from it.

Good luck,

Bob.

PS. Just another reminder/warning. The Nurses here don't approve of my procedure but after being SCI'd for 28 years it's what I found works for me. It may be dangerous or harmful but so be it. I did it their way for years and always got my requisite number of 4-6 UTIs a year and kept Bayer Inc. in business by buying hundreds of dollars a year worth of Cipro from them. I still have quite a pharmacy of antibiotics here at home but haven't taken any in over 23 months... since I changed my cathing technique to the one above.

And be careful if you cut or burn your hands. Don't ever let your catheter touch any area of your hands, especially if they're cut or burnt.

If the FDA, some forward-looking urologists or SCI centers would try this procedure using the very safe antiseptic called "Microcyn" I wouldn't be forced to use hydrogen peroxide, a chemical that's a bit on the caustic side. Thank you Medical Community, let's keep clean-cathing the same way we've been doing it since the 70s... and with such fantastic results! < Sarcasm. Hardly a day goes by here in the "Care" forum without someone posting a UTI thread.

Developed by Oculus Innovative Sciences in Petaluma, the super-oxygenated water is claimed to be as effective a disinfectant as chlorine bleach, but is harmless to people, animals and plants. If accidentally ingested by a child, the likely impact is a bad case of clean teeth.
    That's all I can think of for now. Maybe I'll edit this later if I remember something else since it will be the last time that I write about my catheterization technique.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I just don't want your urethra to shrivel up. I don't know of any irrigation inside of the body with H2O2. Now H2O2 and NS makes a good mouth gargle for gum infection/ prevention, that is the closest example I can think of. We don't even use it on wounds anymore.

But I am open to ideas and certainly if someone wants to try it that is their decision.
    Get someone to research it.

CWO

Bob that is one metculous ritual!