Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need a place to live!!!!

I need a place to live!!!!

My landlady called today and said shes going to sell the house/garage I live in .Nothing in writting yet.I rent it for 1000 bucks a month.
    Ive been reading up on renters rights in socal,but I havent found anything about selling the rental and kicking someone out?I cant remember sighning a lease,but I ve been here for a little over 5 years

Normaly this wouldnt be that big of a deal but.April of 2006 I was in a motorcycle accident that left me parlized from the waist down.So I need a handicap acsessable place with 2 bedrooms (I live with my 16 year old son)
    and I have 2 dogs.My son just started his senior year in high school so Id like to stay here until he graduates.Im realy freaked out I dont think she can kick me out with nowhere to go but I dont know??
    Ive already lost so much due to my accident I was hoping to get back to school and eventuallty work.

Im planing on contacting this place for some answers
    http://www.cesinaction.org/clinic.htm

Dose anyone know what I can do besides looking for a bridge to live under?

I believe that she has to give you 60 days notice and in writing. Other than that, I don't think she is required to let you stay. Have you explained your circumstances to her?

http://www.rentlaw.com/eviction/californiaeviction.htm

http://www.expressevictions.com/evic...california.php

CA has it set up to go pretty quick. Start packing.

"This is the process whereby a landlord forces a tenant to move out of the rental. It can be a traumatic event. Sometimes there are good reasons to evict a tenant. Other times, the tenant faces an eviction because, unfortunately, the law in many California jurisdictions allows a landlord to evict a tenant for no reason.

In California, the action to evict is called an "UNLAWFUL DETAINER"
    This case is like a civil "criminal" charge because:

-The code describing Unlawful Detainer states a "tenant is guilty" of this offense, not just liable like in civil cases. (C.C.P. 1161)
    -These cases move quickly with priority, just like criminal cases.
    -Even if a tenant moves and pays the judgment amount, the "conviction" remains on the record for 7-10 years! As a tenant, you do not want one of these following you -around on your record when you apply to rent anywhere.
    -A landlord in California is not allowed to physically force a tenant out on their own without going through the above court process.

Most all eviction cases (Unlawful Detainers) must be preceded by an EVICTION NOTICE. The notable exception is at the end of a lease where generally no special notice is required.

In many jurisdictions, no reason is needed for the eviction (i.e. 30 or 60 day notices), but illegal reasons like retaliation or discrimination may invalidate the eviction and even give rise to a separate case against the landlord for such acts.

In San Diego City, a landlord is required to state the cause for the eviction on the notice once the tenant has lived there for two years.

In many government subsidized and rent control jurisdictions, valid grounds for the eviction are required to be stated in certain eviction notices. Other notices may demand the tenant to vacate in only three days when illegal activity, nuisance or waste or improper assignment or sublease are alleged in the notice. "

Have you checked into any government agencies such as Aid to Dis and Aging? I think they might have one in CA. We have it here in TX. Also, any human resources office might be able to give you a referral to some place who may be able to help in some way.

You might also try the Salvation Army offices. I recall hearing once that they had someone I knew in this state. Another place who may give you some answers may be State Rehab. I know they help here.

Hope things work out for you soon. Please keep us updated on this.

Raven

So I might only have 30days once Im served a notice?

Quote Originally Posted by kittim
    I believe that she has to give you 60 days notice and in writing. Other than that, I don't think she is required to let you stay. Have you explained your circumstances to her?
    Yes she knows my whole story,but she just seems to think I can find a place just like that.She even said that I should put my dogs up for adoption.Ive found a couple places in the highdesert so It looks like I might be going in that direction?Im not living with out my dogs!
    Last edited by NEWPARA; 02-01-2009 at 02:02 PM.

I don't really have any advice for you but good luck to you - for real. Hopefully this will be one of those times that you look back on and see it all happened for a reason.

*edit* Do you know about Craigslist?
    I did a search for you and there is quite a bit of avail. places that come up. Would you consider a roommate situation to tie you over?
    You're right, housing is expensive. Probably not what he wants to hear, but could your get a part-time job to help cover the added expenses,
    I imagine he isn't too the bridge idea anty more than you are. Just some ideas -
    Last edited by alpentalic; 09-27-2007 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NEWPARA
    My landlady called today and said shes going to sell the house/garage I live in .Nothing in writting yet.I rent it for 1000 bucks a month.
    Ive been reading up on renters rights in socal,but I havent found anything about selling the rental and kicking someone out?I cant remember sighning a lease,but I ve been here for a little over 5 years

Normaly this wouldnt be that big of a deal but.April of 2006 I was in a motorcycle accident that left me parlized from the waist down.So I need a handicap acsessable place with 2 bedrooms (I live with my 16 year old son)
    and I have 2 dogs.My son just started his senior year in high school so Id like to stay here until he graduates.Im realy freaked out I dont think she can kick me out with nowhere to go but I dont know??
    Ive already lost so much due to my accident I was hoping to get back to school and eventuallty work.

Im planing on contacting this place for some answers
    http://www.cesinaction.org/clinic.htm

Dose anyone know what I can do besides looking for a bridge to live under?
    Hi Newpara,
    I am too (new para that is). I would say that you would be wiser to invest more energy in finding another place to live than you would in trying to stay where you are. The reason is that I think the landlady does have the right to have you move out if she wants to sell her house. I still live with my parents, so I don't know what all is available to us in terms of disabled housing and government support, but is there a government agency that could help you find a place that is accessible and affordable? Anybody? Thanks and best of luck to you.
    sean

Sorry to hear you're going through this, NP. As another has said, use that energy to find another place to live with your son and your canine companions. Trying to find a way to remain trhough the selling of the house and the transition to new owners is likely futile.

As for your current home ... Your agreement to rent is with your landlord, not the person to whom she'll sell. The new owners may wish to live in the house, not rent it to others. Your landlord may also wish to have the property free of tenants as the home may sell or show better, may be mmore marketable when it's tenant and dog-free.

I hope you find an accessible place to live with your son and dogs within the brief time limit you've apparently been given.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    Hi Newpara,
    I am too (new para that is). I would say that you would be wiser to invest more energy in finding another place to live than you would in trying to stay where you are. The reason is that I think the landlady does have the right to have you move out if she wants to sell her house. I still live with my parents, so I don't know what all is available to us in terms of disabled housing and government support, but is there a government agency that could help you find a place that is accessible and affordable? Anybody? Thanks and best of luck to you.
    sean
    ILCs usually have housing referrals.

http://www.ilusa.com/links/ilcenters.htm
    Daniel