Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has it been more than 20 years since you stood?

Has it been more than 20 years since you stood?

When I was a kid, I had a standing brace that I was supposed to use for an hour everyday. I really hated it and after years of my protests, my parents finally gave up and stopping makine me stand. That was more than 20 years ago.

Now, I really want to stand. I had a bone density test a little over a year ago, and found out that I have severe osteoporsis. I'm guessing that standing on these brittle bones would not be a good thing. Correct? Is there a way for me to reverse the osteoporsis? Or, should I just give up the idea of ever standing? Has anyone tried standing after many years of not standing?

Alive for 34 years
    T4/5 complete for 26 years
    Mom for 7 years

Shannon, this is a common problem. It would be very important to discuss your bone density tests with your physiatrist and PT prior to starting any standing. They may want you to start with only partial weight bearing (such as a tilt table) and you may need this anyway in order to not pass out when standing. Or your physiatrist may decide that standing with the degree of osteoporosis you have is too risky. Follow their guideance in this. I have seen fractures in similar clients, so this should not be taken lightly (or done on your own without medical advice).

(KLD)

After I was injured, I got braces and walked with a walker. After I had my rods put in for scoliosis they wanted me to take a break from them. I haven't been in braces since, and that was 1989 or so.

man, i dont know how u guys can function w/out standing. i would be contourted like like a feaking lobster

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

Originally posted by fuentejps:

man, i dont know how u guys can function w/out standing. i would be contourted like like a feaking lobster

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung
    I'm not contorted in the least. I look and feel absolutely fine.

Originally posted by LindsayS:

Originally posted by fuentejps:

I'm not contorted in the least. I look and feel absolutely fine.
    do u have tone lindsay? if i dont stand minimum 4x week my legs get jumpy , my back and stomach get very tight as well. but maybe its because it always been part of my routine, my body needs it. it does feel great though

Yes I have tone, and rarely have spasms.

KLD, I'm thinking it might be best to give up on the idea of standing. I don't know. My bone density results were -4.

Lindsay, that's interesting that you walked with braces. We're about the same level and were injured around the same age, but they never even offered walking with braces to me. You have tone in your legs? How? What do you do? Have you had a bone density test? My legs are like sticks. I can't believe I haven't broken any bones. And I cannot imagine them bearing weight. Even having my 60lbs daughter sitting on my lap makes me a little nervous.

F, I rarely have spasms. My legs/hips/knees are very loose. I don't know why they are. I don't even do ROM.

I just got back from the pool. I love being in water. Maybe that will be my only escape from sitting and lying down.

Alive for 34 years
    T4/5 complete for 26 years
    Mom for 7 years

Shannon, I don't know why my legs aren't sticks, but they aren't.

If I knew then what I know now I would have kept walking with the braces. But hindsight is 20/20.

It has been 24+ for me. I just recently purchased a standing frame. However, it hasn't arrived as of yet.