Thread: Leg Went Numb...Doc.?

Leg Went Numb...Doc.?

Ive had great return of all sensations in my feet, legs, butt and good spasticity/tone over the last year or so, but no motor return thats usefull.

Well, I woke up monday morning recalling a dream that I'd had that night about getting full use of my left leg! even woke everyone up to come see me wave it around. After a few minutes of recanting the story to my wife I sat up and saw that my left leg was bent at the knee and my foot was tucked under the right leg calf and a little swollen.

I'll spare you all the details. While transferring to the chair I noticed that my left leg was totally numb from the hip down to the toes, no feeling, no spasticity, nuttin.

So, its 24 hrs later and its still the same, DEAD!
    Whats my course of action now? give it some more time to see if it will come back or go straight to the Dr for answers?
    What kind of test would I need to get ?

Geeeze, 2 yrs, 4 hrs a day, 7 days a week of bustin ass and feel Ive earned every ounce of return I have, just to have it snuffed out like the flip of a switch from a spazz session (I assume) sucks!

DIGG.

When there are any drastic changes like the kind you have just described, you should always speak to your doctor about it sooner or later. So I would at least give a phone call to your doctor either it be your physiatrist or your general practitioner, at the very least, just to be safe. I would even ask for an appointment with the physiatrist just to start up a face-to-face discussion.

If your leg is swelling it could be from some sort of clot or trauma that you do not know about. If you're receiving a lot of return, your doctor may suggest an EMG are even an MRI, but that is best left up to him.

Hope everything turns out well! When you do find out what happened please tell us what happened so we can benefit from your experience.

Dave H

See your physician immediately. You should be evaluated for both a blood clot in your leg and a fracture, so both Doppler and an Xray appear to be indicated. Don't delay.

(KLD)

What the nurse said and fast! Skip an appointment and head to the ER. Swelling or redness are either a reason to go. Both? Doubly so. And yes, let us know!

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Ok..trip to ER late last night, good news..no blood clot or fracture found. Did blood work to check for gout or infections etc, all came back norm. ER doc said "I dont have any answer as to why" gave me a script for Cephalexin 500mg just for GP's I guess! and told me to have a nice evening!

Have appt with my Dr tomorrow to try to make some sense of all this. I hope I just pinched something and its a temp thing.

ER classic Quotes of the night.

OK pal, hop up on the gurney there for a doppler test!

For this x-ray, you'll need to hold your foot erect!

WOW! you feel ok? your BP is awfully low!

DIGG.

I don't have normal sensation below my injury. but, I do constantly have a burning sensation (neuropathic pain?) and an awareness of where my legs are. but, from time to time everything will just feel numb. like nothing is there. it kinda freaked me out at first. thought I was losing rather than gaining. but, for me it goes and comes.

and a new thing is if I am laying on my side my bottom leg will feel like it goes to sleep. even though it never really feels awake

I get the look allllll the time when nurses take my bp. I've always had relatively low bp. but, now with SCI on top of it.

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

What a relief...Impinged Sciatic nerve from the little add on Jay2 gel pack being too far forward! Went to inpatient rehab and got a pressure mapping and found it. Dr gave me 20 min worth of an electro therapy on the leg and now 3 hrs later I am getting some feeling to return. He also said it was probably good that I didnt have full sensation cause trauma to that nerve usually is extremly painfull and most always takes a couple weeks to run its course.

So, lesson learned! check the seat cushion often. No telling how long it had been this way and slowly building a pressure point.

Thanks guys.

DIGG.

Originally posted by DIGGER:

He also said it was probably good that I didnt have full sensation cause trauma to that nerve usually is extremly painfull and most always takes a couple weeks to run its course.

DIGG.
    Couple of weeks? I sat on a razor blade for 6 months before I gave in and went to my doc and said to load me up on drugs. I thought it was the neuropathic pain coming back. He treated me to about 6 rounds of accupuncture (army doc too!) and what a relief! No zombie drugs and no more razor blade. Glad you caught yours early and got it taken care of.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."