Thread: T6 burst fracture resulting in fusion - post op recovery questions for the Dr.!

T6 burst fracture resulting in fusion - post op recovery questions for the Dr.!

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read my question.

A little background:
    In 2000, at the age of 27, I was in a motocross accident that resulted in a burst-fracture of T6, and ancillary fractures of T5, and T7. I also suffered 3 broken ribs, one of which found it's way to my lung and poked a hole in it, a fractured jaw, ruptured spleen, dislocated shoulder, and a littany of other injuries far less severe than the spinal fracture.

I was transported via ambulance to a local hospital where they immediately looked at me and said "too much for us" and I was sent off to another hospital - Halifax, in Daytona Beach, FL.

To make a long story short, and to get to my question - the doctors there inserted Herrington Rods in my back and grafted some bone from my hips to patch Humpty-Dumpty back together. That was 7 years ago and I have had relitavely few complications other than the rare occurance of some rather severe pain after a long day shooting. (I am a cameraman for PBS.)

My question is as follows:
    Being 34 now, my midsection has begun to expand more than I'd like and I am wondering what my options are as far as excercise. Recreational biking? Running? Swimming is good, but I lack a pool...

Your assistance is appreciated.

I guess my first question would be, DO you have trunk stability or more directly what limitations do you suffer from post injury?

Diet and exercise is the only way to get that body back in check. Specifically isolating the troubled regions you want to target. But being able to do some sort of endurance activity will be able to help if you can not isolate the abdominal muscles themselves.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America - Life member

DSUSA - Volunteer / Participant

My limitations are pretty much self-imposed at this point out of fear of screwing up something back there. I carry around 30 pounds of camera on my shoulder for hours on-end with little reprocussions. As for trunk stability, I'm not too sure what you mean by that - but everything seems to be ok outside of some aches and pains that I would consider normal given the nature of my injury.

Diet is something I am working on - it's the exercise that I am wondering about. We live in a hilly area, so I would think that a bicycle would be great for some low-impact calorie burning. The thing that keeps me off the bike is a fear of "what if I fall?"

Well, The thing you have to keep in mind.

" Calories IN = Calories OUT."

You have to have a balance to make things work out. If you are not burning the calories(OUT), then you need to lower your intake.

When i find myself a bit on the overweight side, i reduce the intake and ramp up the endurance exercises to burn more of the storage.

If the bike works for you and you can get to set goals at distance and/or pace, then more power to you.

Presently, i tend to do a lot of the eliptical machine at the gym. These machines are excellent for no impact. In fact, i liken them to snow shoeing with my trecking poles. Being that i have a problem with falling over, i like to be able to hold on to things with my hands.
    If i fall in the snow, no worries. Its like a bed of feathers.

I fall all the time too. And that is a big consern with trying a new exercise method for me. Try to take it slow in order to gain a bit of confidence.
    That being said, since my SCI, i have broken my foot, hand, and elbow from falling doing one thing or another.

Be carefull, but not so much that you never try anything again.

Mike
    Paralyzed Veterans of America - Life member

DSUSA - Volunteer / Participant

In my opinion, swimming is the best exercise for people with spinal problems. It puts the least amount of stress of the spine and at the same time provide a vigorous cardiac and aerobic workouts. Biking is good if you do it seriously and take the time to do at least 3 times a week. If you don't have a swimming pool, you can join a club. One friend highly recommends swimming-in-place pools.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick
    Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read my question.

A little background:
    In 2000, at the age of 27, I was in a motocross accident that resulted in a burst-fracture of T6, and ancillary fractures of T5, and T7. I also suffered 3 broken ribs, one of which found it's way to my lung and poked a hole in it, a fractured jaw, ruptured spleen, dislocated shoulder, and a littany of other injuries far less severe than the spinal fracture.

I was transported via ambulance to a local hospital where they immediately looked at me and said "too much for us" and I was sent off to another hospital - Halifax, in Daytona Beach, FL.

To make a long story short, and to get to my question - the doctors there inserted Herrington Rods in my back and grafted some bone from my hips to patch Humpty-Dumpty back together. That was 7 years ago and I have had relitavely few complications other than the rare occurance of some rather severe pain after a long day shooting. (I am a cameraman for PBS.)

My question is as follows:
    Being 34 now, my midsection has begun to expand more than I'd like and I am wondering what my options are as far as excercise. Recreational biking? Running? Swimming is good, but I lack a pool...

Your assistance is appreciated.