Thread: Any China surery stories to Share

Any China surery stories to Share

Hello

My name is Christan Zaccagnino and I am 22 years old. I am awaiting a surgery date in china. Does anyone have a results to share with me...it would mean the world to me. Thank you!!

Christan

Arrow Port Chester woman happy with progress after Chinese spinal surgery

Port Chester woman happy with progress after Chinese spinal surgery

By LIZ SADLER
    THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: September 28, 2007)

Christan Zaccagnino awoke at Xishan Hospital near Beijing with a roaring headache.

The 24-year-old Port Chester woman had just endured two hours of spinal cord surgery. Doctors transplanted cells above and below the spot in her spinal cord that was injured 14 years earlier in a diving accident. They hoped to restore movement and feeling to her paralyzed body.

Zaccagnino is among hundreds of people with spinal cord injuries and other debilitating afflictions who have placed their faith in Dr. Hongyun Huang, a Chinese neurosurgeon who has transplanted fetal brain tissue into the lesions of more than 400 such patients from across the world.

The controversial surgery has no documented success rate, and a recent American medical journal study advises doctors to warn patients against it.

But Zaccagnino ignored the skeptics and went to China in April. Five months after the surgery, she said she is showing some promising results in her strength and posture.

"These little things that I was never able to do -it's not even six months and I'm already seeing changes," Zaccagnino said recently. "I'm extremely happy with my progress. I couldn't ask for anything more."

Zaccagnino left for Beijing on April 18 with her father and her boyfriend, Army 1st Lt. Boyd Melson, after raising the $30,000 needed for the surgery through fundraisers and T-shirt sales.

Though the shabby condition of the Chinese hospital was startling at first, Zaccagnino said, she soon felt at home in her austere quarters - a small room with four concrete walls, two beds and a DVD player.
    She was surrounded by patients from Greece, Italy, Romania, France and other countries, all awaiting Huang's surgery. The families prayed together as their loved ones were wheeled into the operating room.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/p...87/1027/NEWS11

Talking

You see Christan, I shared your story