Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637

Thread: Any orthodox Jewish people here?

i am a direct descendent of maimonidies, not orthodox however.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    I missed my chance to call Sean before he left. I was in Mexico. Does anyone know how to get ahold of him? (Assuming he's not happily residing on Mimi's couch.)

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome View Post
    Hello,
    I'm Sean from North Carolina. My hebrew name is Yaakov Tzvi. I'm a 25 year old T4 paraplegic from March. So far nothing I've said seems to separate me from the rest of you -- but I have to say that one thing will make me very different than the rest of you: I'm an orthodox Jewish man.

I know this is a shot in the dark considering that there are only 6 million or so Jews in the United States, only 7% of which are orthodox, but I'd really love to have a discussion on sci with other orthodox Jews.

This is not to say that I don't value the input of conservative/reform Jews or even Christians, but I'm not really looking for advice like, "you shouldn't be so wrapped up in religion" or "you should try a religion less cultish than orthodox Judaism". And I promise that I won't try to make anybody Jewish who was not born Jewish. If you were born Jewish (your mother is Jewish), I might encourage you to check out orthodox Judaism if you're ever interested in taking full advantage of your heritage as a child of Israel.

I'm really interested in learning how other Jewish sci's cope with the laws of Shabbat, especially in terms of using a wheelchair? Have you asked Rabbis what our condition means? If it was a plan of G-d or if it just occurred as a part of fate? I've received some very dissatisfying answers from some of the rabbis I've contacted, but I try to be mindful that just because I don't like an answer, it doesn't mean it's not true.

I hope everyone enjoyed breaking their fast last night!
    Shana Tova and Shavua Tov,
    Sean

sh chap. 9 p. 230 Judaism—Searching for God Through Scripture and Tradition ***
    Shabbat (Sabbath)—The seventh day of the Jewish week (from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday) is viewed as sanctifying the week, and the special observance of this day is an essential part of worship. Jews attend the synagogue for Torah readings and prayers.—Exodus 20:8-11.
    (Exodus
    20:8-11) 8 "Remembering the sabbath day to hold it sacred, 9 you are to render service and you must do all your work six days. 10 But the seventh day is a sabbath to Jehovah your God. You must not do any work, you nor your son nor your daughter, your slave man nor your slave girl nor your domestic animal nor your alien resident who is inside your gates. 11 For in six days Jehovah made the heavens and the earth, the sea and everything that is in them, and he proceeded to rest on the seventh day. That is why Jehovah blessed the sabbath day and proceeded to make it sacred.

I'm sure this is what you are refering too.

The Family Holtzberg...so sad

I got the following email following the tragedy in India. My eyes welled up when I read about it. Thank G-d that their son was spared. May the Lord comfort their famililes among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem...

Greetings! About The Tragedy That Took Place in the Last Few Days in India!
    Dear friends,

I am writing this note to all of you today as we all have heard about horrible tragedy in India the loss of Rabbi and Rebbetzein Holzberg Za"l and the people there.

Our hearts are broken with the news of the loss of the Balie Meiras Nefesh Bepoel Rabbi Gavriel and Leah Holzberg they are the paradigm of care and compassion to others. Giving up friends, family and ultimately their lives in the service of the Jewish People. Their attack on Chabad was an attack against all Jews all over the world and we are all mourning together today.

The Holtzbergs arrived in Mumbai in 2003 to serve the small local Jewish community, visiting businesspeople and the throngs of tourists, many of them Israeli, who annually travel to the seaside city.

Gavriel Holtzberg, 29, was born in Israel and moved to the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn, N.Y., with his parents when he was nine. A prodigious student, Holtzberg was a two-time champion in a competition of memorizing the Mishnah, a compendium of rabbinical enactments redacted in the second century C.E.

He studied at yeshivas in New York and Argentina, and as a rabbinical student served communities in Thailand and China under the Summer Rabbinical Visitation Program run by Merkos L'Inyonei Chinuch, the educational arm of Chabad-Lubavitch.

His 28-year-old wife, born Rivkah Rosenberg, is a native of Afula, Israel. Chayki Rosenberg described her sister as dedicated to helping Jews.

Two years ago, the Holtzbergs raised funds to purchase the current location of the Rohr Chabad House, a five-story building in Mumbai's Colaba market area known as Narimon House. A trained ritual circumciser and slaughterer, the rabbi also conducts weddings for local Jewish couples in addition to teaching Torah classes and visiting with tourists.

Chabad has set up a fund to help the family and rebuild the Chabad House in Mumbai which was seriously damaged in the terrorist attack. Donations can be made online at www.chabadindia.org.

Mairav and I are truly saddened by all this we want to remind every one that to fight darkness we must add in light!! So we ask all of you to make sure that you light a candle tonight for Shabbat not after 4:25 pm and say a blessing over it! Also attend synagogue and make your prayer in their memory!

JR, Sean was asking about how other orthodox jews manage the over 300 rules they must obey daily as wheelchair users. Their Sabbath is not the only day these apply. Try reading the first 30 pages or so of this thread.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome View Post
    I got the following email following the tragedy in India. My eyes welled up when I read about it. Thank G-d that their son was spared. May the Lord comfort their famililes among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem...

Tragic indeed, they look like such nice people. I feel disheartened for India and all the victims.