Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Any orthodox Jewish people here?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Wikipedia says:

However, according to Maimonides, a gentile is considered righteous only if a person follows the Noahide laws specifically because he or she considers them to be of divine origin (through the Torah) and not if they are merely considered to be intellectually compelling or good rules for living.
    Wouldn't the requirement for belief in divine origin rule out agnostics, since they're unsure whether a deity actually exists?

I have enjoyed your contributions, as they are expanding my understanding of Judaism, so thank you.
    Oh, good catch! I didn't know that non-Jews had to believe the Torah to be the word of G-d! I know it says according to Maimonides, and not all of his 'decrees' have been accepted by the Rabbis. This is definitely something I want to ask my Rabbi about.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    I spent two years in a strict Pentecostal cult. It saddens me that people would put so many burdens on themselves to worship God when most of the restrictions were given to them by men. Examples: No television, no pants or make-up on women, clothes at certain length, homeschooling, mandatory services three times a week, etc.

I'd rather live by what I feel is right and discern for myself what God would freak out over. I doubt God is going to lose it if I watch Everybody Loves Raymond when the world has so much more going on.
    Growing up, I spent many years in that kind of environment. There are people that respond to all that religiousity. I didn't. Kudos to them, I suppose.
    Daniel

Sean,

I spent two years in a strict Pentecostal cult. It saddens me that people would put so many burdens on themselves to worship God when most of the restrictions were given to them by men. Examples: No television, no pants or make-up on women, clothes at certain length, homeschooling, mandatory services three times a week, etc.

I'd rather live by what I feel is right and discern for myself what God would freak out over. I doubt God is going to lose it if I watch Everybody Loves Raymond when the world has so much more going on.

I used to wish that I was not Jewish, and sometimes I still do (forgive me Hashem). We don't have three services a week - but three a day! If you were to be fully observant, you would only wear black pants and a white shirt. Women only wear dresses (but make up is ok). All men wear cover their heads with yamulkes and the married women usually wear wigs or some other head covering. Only Jewish schooling to learn Hebrew and Torah. If you marry a non-Jew, your parents will mourn for you as if you had died, and you will be dead to them: your kids will not be their grandkids, your inheritance will go to your siblings, and your parents may not speak to you again. We can only eat Kosher which is not easy! We can't go out to eat unless it's a Kosher restaurant (and how many of those are around?). We have strict dietary laws - for example, you can't eat dairy or meat product at the same time and need a minimum of 6 hours in between eating meat and dairy. The Shabbat rules are extremely intense: You can't bathe, drive, turn on or turn off a light (or any other electronic device) because that is considered lighting or extigutishing a fire which is 'work'. You can't cook, so all food has to be prepared the day before. You can't even carry a piece of paper in your pocket outside of your house! You can't tie a permanent knot, you can't fold clothes, you can't write or type, you can't even cut cake with frosted lettering on it unless you cut around the letters (because you would be erasing which is in violation of Shabbat!). As for the gender rules, you can't so much as shake a woman's hand unless she is your wife, mother, sister, or daughter. If you are married, you cannot sleep with your wife during her period and for 7 days after it has ended.

Believe me, I know that the rules are hard. And the above are only the most well known rules, but I've only touched on about 5% of them (there are 613 laws altogether which Jews have to follow).

You are a non-jew and you do not have to do any of the things that you had to do in your church. I would be frustrated too if I had imposed those things on myself or my parents did when G-d said that they were not required of me. Our experiences are different, however, because as a Jew, I have to follow the rules that I've been brought up with - as all Jews have been required to do since Mt. Sinai.

I'm curious, Todd. Do you see orthodox Jewish people as belonging to a cult? Do you see me as a cult member?

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    I'm curious, Todd. Do you see orthodox Jewish people as belonging to a cult? Do you see me as a cult member?
    By definition, all religious organizations are cults. But I understand your question on connotation and I'd say no. I believe like Roman Catholics, Orthodox Jews just follow a tradition. I'd reserve the negative connotation of cult for groups that are secretive and deceptive, like the polygamist groups headed by tyrannical men.

By definition, all religious organizations are cults. But I understand your question on connotation and I'd say no. I believe like Roman Catholics, Orthodox Jews just follow a tradition. I'd reserve the negative connotation of cult for groups that are secretive and deceptive, like the polygamist groups headed by tyrannical men.
    So I see. I have trouble differentiating between different types of Christians. You said you were a Christian but you seem to disagree with Christianity so I don't know what you are called then?

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    You said you were a Christian but you seem to disagree with Christianity so I don't know what you are called then?
    Au contraire, I love Christianity and I believe in the teachings of Jesus, the tenets of the early church, and the in-depth commentary as taught by the Greek church fathers, such as Origen.

My cultural views may be different than were practiced then, but our time is vastly different as well.

The Beatitudes are a wonderful set of philosophical principles to embrace.

What should I be called? An Apocastasis Christian.

Au contraire, I love Christianity and I believe in the teachings of Jesus, the tenets of the early church, and the in-depth commentary as taught by the Greek church fathers, such as Origen.

My cultural views may be different than were practiced then, but our time is vastly different as well.

The Beatitudes are a wonderful set of philosophical principles to embrace.

Ok, thank you for explaining.

Sorry Todd and Sean. Forgive me for interruping your conversation.

Todd, I have never heard the term "Apocastasis." Do you define this word as meaning back to God or are you referring to prophecy.

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    Sorry Todd and Sean. Forgive me for interruping your conversation.

Todd, I have never heard the term "Apocastasis." Do you define this word as meaning back to God or are you referring to prophecy.
    So Todd,

Does that mean that you believe that Jesus existed approximately 2000 years ago and that he is Mosiach?

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    Apocatastasis is the doctrine that all sinners (including humans, Satan and the fallen angels) will be saved and reconciled to God.
    Daniel