Page 1 of 37 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Any orthodox Jewish people here?

Any orthodox Jewish people here?

Hello,
    I'm Sean from North Carolina. My hebrew name is Yaakov Tzvi. I'm a 25 year old T4 paraplegic from March. So far nothing I've said seems to separate me from the rest of you -- but I have to say that one thing will make me very different than the rest of you: I'm an orthodox Jewish man.

I know this is a shot in the dark considering that there are only 6 million or so Jews in the United States, only 7% of which are orthodox, but I'd really love to have a discussion on sci with other orthodox Jews.

This is not to say that I don't value the input of conservative/reform Jews or even Christians, but I'm not really looking for advice like, "you shouldn't be so wrapped up in religion" or "you should try a religion less cultish than orthodox Judaism". And I promise that I won't try to make anybody Jewish who was not born Jewish. If you were born Jewish (your mother is Jewish), I might encourage you to check out orthodox Judaism if you're ever interested in taking full advantage of your heritage as a child of Israel.

I'm really interested in learning how other Jewish sci's cope with the laws of Shabbat, especially in terms of using a wheelchair? Have you asked Rabbis what our condition means? If it was a plan of G-d or if it just occurred as a part of fate? I've received some very dissatisfying answers from some of the rabbis I've contacted, but I try to be mindful that just because I don't like an answer, it doesn't mean it's not true.

I hope everyone enjoyed breaking their fast last night!
    Shana Tova and Shavua Tov,
    Sean

Hey Sean!,

I'm a Christian, but a believer in universal salvation and also gay so no pressure from me to convert or be anyone other than who you are. I love people of other faiths and cultures.

I'm fairly familiar with Judaism, though not keen with all Hebrew terms or festival dates.

My opinion on our paralysis and God's part in it is rather unpopular here. I believe God is omniscient and all that was, is and will be was determined from the foundation of the world, including our suffering.

By the way, my name is Todd and I'm also 25.

Hi Sean, I hope you find some other Orthodox to help you find solutions to your SCI problems. I imagine pushing your own chair or even turning on and steering a powerchair are out during the sabbath? Until you find answers in your faith you might ask an Unitarian congregation for help with the normal prohibitions.

Have you contacted any of the rehab hospitals for help? The National Rehabilitation Hospital is in Washington DC and Silver Spring, MD is close and has a large Orthodox population.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    Hello,
    ...but I have to say that one thing will make me very different than the rest of you: I'm an orthodox Jewish man.
    Sean, I'm Roman Catholic and we like you guys. You can be as Jewish as you want here, as far as I'm concerned.

I really hope that any orthodox Jews that read this will come forward and contact you. Faith can be a very powerful ally when dealing with problems as big as SCI.

Thank you Todd and Sue for your replies.

Sue - yes, there is a large orthodox population in Baltimore. I don't have a power chair, so I don't have to worry about that. Yes, using a power chair would be strictly forbidden on the Sabbath. As for asking a unitarian congregation for help - forbidden (the most common word Jews hear on the Sabbath ha). We are not allowed to ask non-Jews to do things for us that are forbidden on the Sabbath.

Ala - Thank you. Jewish authorities have expressed thanks that the last pope stopped Catholics from trying to lure Jews away from judaism. Your last pope was a righteous man, to be sure.

Todd - you'll be glad to know that there will be no eternal hell. There is a place called Gehenna where the wicked will have to spend up to 12 months, but G-d will not punish anyone eternally. He is mercifiul.

As non-Jews, there are only 7 laws that you must follow to be considered righteous and avoid any time in Gehenna. They are called the 7 Noahide laws, since everyone alive is descended from Noah. If anybody Jewish is reading this, please keep in mind that we have to follow these 7 laws, but there is much more required of us since we are part of the covenant:

The seven laws listed by the Talmud are[6]
    1. Prohibition of Idolatry: - There is only one God. You shall not make for yourself an idol.
    2. Prohibition of Murder: - You shall not murder.
    3. Prohibition of Theft: - You shall not steal.
    4. Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity: - You shall not commit adultery.
    5. Prohibition of Blasphemy: - Revere God and do not blaspheme.
    6. Prohibition of Cruelty to Animals: - Do not eat the flesh of an animal while it is still alive.
    7. Requirement to have just Laws: - You shall set up an effective government to police the preceding six laws.

Todd - you'll be glad to know that there will be no eternal hell. There is a place called Gehenna where the wicked will have to spend up to 12 months, but G-d will not punish anyone eternally. He is mercifiul.
    Mazel tov, my friend. I agree with you completely. He is merciful and we will all be reconciled to our Father, to the Jew and Gentile alike.

The seven laws listed by the Talmud are[6]
    1. Prohibition of Idolatry: - There is only one God. You shall not make for yourself an idol.
    2. Prohibition of Murder: - You shall not murder.
    3. Prohibition of Theft: - You shall not steal.
    4. Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity: - You shall not commit adultery.
    5. Prohibition of Blasphemy: - Revere God and do not blaspheme.
    6. Prohibition of Cruelty to Animals: - Do not eat the flesh of an animal while it is still alive.
    7. Requirement to have just Laws: - You shall set up an effective government to police the preceding six laws.
    Pretty straightforward and ethical to me.

Eating a live animal? My god!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    [/list]Pretty straightforward and ethical to me.

Eating a live animal? My god!
    I know the temptation is a hard one to overcome, you can rise above it!

have you heard of this religion wicca guys?strange.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    have you heard of this religion wicca guys?strange.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca
    Adi,
    I'm hoping to keep this thread Jewish focused. I'm sure there are other threads that are open to other religious discussion, but I created this thread specifically for Jewish people or non-Jews willing to discuss Jewish topics. Thank you.
    Sean