Thread: Change Rehab

Lightbulb Change Rehab

I am trying to help the family of a college student research rehab hospitals (2.5 weeks post accident with no feeling from waist down). They transferred her quickly from ICU after 1 week (had pins and rods to stabilize 7 crushed vertebrae) to a rehab hospital in her home town. There are no patients who are her age there, which apparently is not unusual at this rehab, they don't seem to have a real aggressive program for SCI rehab - dealing more with stroke patients - and as she doesn't have a lot of other issues (other than broken bones and paralysis) my guess is they will be very quickly releasing her back to the world (maybe 6-8 weeks).

How do you go about determining if she would be better off in a more specialized spinal injury hospital and what to look for and ask for versus what she has available to her here?

Is it very problematic to transfer from one hospital to another in the middle of your rehab? She has insurance through parents work, not sure of the details yet.

Timing - best to do this early on while she is admitted or is it ok to search for a program after this phase is done and she is outpatient? I don't know if financially this would make sense though since if they had to be in another city they wouldn't have a place to live and couldn't work, etc.
    Thank you for all your help.

Fight NOW to move her to a specialty SCI rehab program immediately. Push her insurance. Tell us where she is, and we can recommend one, but you should be looking for either a unit that is CARF Accredited as a SCSC (spinal cord system of care) or is a Model SCI Systems Center (or both). It makes a big difference, and even if she has to be a long way away from home, worth it. This is the foundation for her life...boot camp for living with a SCI, and should not be minimized or done in a slip-shod way.

(KLD)

Go to http://www.paralysis.org and request a new injury package as well as a Paralysis Resource Guide. I agree with KLD, get the best now. My thought is you pay now (hotel, short term apt, away from friends) or pay later with many secondary conditions.
    I am posting some good attachments on how to select a rehab center. If you have questions, ask away.

Good luck.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Great info

Thank you for your response. The checklist will be very helpful. She is in Washington state.