Thread: Please Help

Exclamation Please Help

My wife had a neuroma removed from her spine at L1-L2 on July 6th of this year. She came out of the surgery paralyzed in her left leg, partially in her right and incontinent. She is going to therapy 3 days a week and is responding pretty well, eventhough she has a ruptured L5 disk.

The problem I am writing about is the fact that she is having problems with her stomach and intestines. She can eat a small amount of food and feel like she is full. It then gives her indigestion and makes her nausiated. She gets sharp pains in the area of her colon, like she may be impated, but yet scans show a clear intestinal and colon track. She also has a problem with bloating....she can be one size, eat half a sandwhich and look as if she has gained 3 sizes and then it will go back down.

I have done the symptom search, but it comes up with Neurogenic Bowel and Bladder and Gastroparesis.

I don't know what to think and it is starting to worry her and all the Dr. said is that the nerves were sending false signals........

Can someone please help.........

John

Did she not get an inpatient rehab program with a comprehensive program (not just PT)? She should have. Is her doctor a physiatrist? She needs one. Gastroparesis is not likely with her level of injury unless she also has severe diabetis. She certainly can have a neurogenic bowel, but that is not going to cause stomach bloating at her level. It is more likely that she is having problems related to medication side effects. What is she taking?

If she has significantly increased her fiber in her diet (30 gm. daily is recommended) then this can also cause gas. Keep a diet diary and write down everything she eats and drinks, and then see if you can relate this to specific symptoms. Cut out the problematic foods and see if this does not help.

Regardless, she needs to be on a good bowel and bladder program. Who is helping her with this? A good publication that can help her with bowel management is "Neurogenic Bowel: What you should know" which you can download here for free:

http://www.pva.org/site/PageServer?p...eneralpubs#cpg

(KLD)