Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: my gut is growing

  1. #1

    my gut is growing

    I'm gaining weight in my stomach area lately and I'm wondering why that is and what I can do about it. I am a C-5 quad so a lot of physical activity isn't happening. I'll admit, I wear an abdominal binder to hide it and also help with posture. I'm told to just maintain my weight I'm supposed to consume something like 1600 cal/day.

    For several months at least I've been reading the calorie content of food and staying away from sugar. If anything I think my calorie consumption is less than that a lot of the time. I try to eat regular meals and drink a protein shake every day (about 150 cal). I love fruits and vegetables and try to eat enough of them so that I get a lot of fiber. Now top that all off with the daily water intake we are supposed to have and I feel like a bloated pig. It can be pretty frustrating and sometimes I wish we didn't have to eat it all.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Placerville, CA
    Posts
    8,259
    Not too clear, DoingTime. You sometimes wish you didn't have to eat so much or at all? You can always cut your food consumption to better match your daily calorie burn or trail it even - just do the cuts away from the fruit and veggies, especially the veggies.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

  3. #3
    low carb works for me
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Not too clear, DoingTime. You sometimes wish you didn't have to eat so much or at all? You can always cut your food consumption to better match your daily calorie burn or trail it even - just do the cuts away from the fruit and veggies, especially the veggies.
    Sorry. I'm just saying I don't think I eat that much food to be gaining weight. Balancing your calorie intake without losing muscle or gaining weight can be frustrating.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinny
    low carb works for me
    supposedly 60% of your calorie intake should be carbs. When you say low carbs, do you mean breads and pasta?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    Sorry. I'm just saying I don't think I eat that much food to be gaining weight. Balancing your calorie intake without losing muscle or gaining weight can be frustrating.
    I hear ya buddy.My gut is big because I eat protein out my butt.To gain strenght and size you have to.I'm doing an exercise on my vita-glyde which works mu middle abs good.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

  7. #7
    Pay attention to your liquids. Do you usually drink high-calorie liquids? If you can completely abstain from soda and go to tea with light sugar and lemon, you'd take in less calories. There's also a natural sugar substitute called slevia. My health nut uncle uses it and swears by it.


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by van damn
    I hear ya buddy.My gut is big because I eat protein out my butt.To gain strenght and size you have to.I'm doing an exercise on my vita-glyde which works mu middle abs good.
    When do you take your protein supplements and how many calories are in them? I bought some new stuff from GNC which is 20 g and 150 cal. That doesn't exactly sound fattening.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    Pay attention to your liquids. Do you usually drink high-calorie liquids? If you can completely abstain from soda and go to tea with light sugar and lemon, you'd take in less calories. There's also a natural sugar substitute called slevia. My health nut uncle uses it and swears by it.
    Thanks. I drink more water than anything else. I'll throw in some crystal light 0 cal stuff for flavor sometimes. If I want a soda, I don't mind the diet stuff.

  10. #10
    According to Dr. Oz on Oprah, people's metabolism doesn't change but by 1% usually as they age. The cause of increasing weight is less activity as people age. They'll continue to consume the same calories but do less and, of course, being disabled certainly doesn't help us in this regard.

    The trick is to eat what makes you feel full and content without lots of calories. It's not an easy task for many, especially if you're one of the unfortunate people born with a slow metabolism.

    Depression and boredom can also make people eat when they're really not hungry, but can eat something anyway. Water or tea is great for picking up something and getting that desire out without feeding your face.


Similar Threads

  1. Gut motility
    By Wise Young in forum Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 02:55 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 12:25 PM
  3. Scientists Discover Natural Antibiotic in Human Gut
    By antiquity in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 05:47 PM
  4. The gut has a mind of its own
    By antiquity in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2002, 07:35 AM
  5. Pig gut helps knees heal
    By antiquity in forum Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2002, 06:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •