Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally able to do "squats"

good description

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic
    You know how it is, everyone recovers different, but for me - it's helped having someone else take me through the movements before I take over. It helps the connected nerves fire. I.... It seemed hopeless, but slowly - as Patd says "fiber by fiber" I am seeing results. I also spin my legs a lot and use the Ergys, anything to keep them moving. An AB sitting all day everyday would lose their muscle function, it's important to keep them active.
    I'm with ya.
    Been using a motomed lots this summer and have been getting better and better at pedaling it "on my own" (with it's assistance) all summer. I realize that part of it is my butt-brain being retrained in locomotion, but I've noticed in increase in voluntary control of my upper leg muscles as well.

Jeff
    Doh!

Awesome job to everyone trying to get back all that they can!

It is proven that exercise is very important to staying healthy too.

Alpen, at PW we use the same Total Gym. Great for upper and lower body.
    Where are you working out?
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH
    I'm with ya.
    Been using a motomed lots this summer and have been getting better and better at pedaling it "on my own" (with it's assistance) all summer. I realize that part of it is my butt-brain being retrained in locomotion, but I've noticed in increase in voluntary control of my upper leg muscles as well.

Jeff
    I use the motomed too, I'd buy one if I could. I just got back from rehab practicing standing w/o braces. It never ceases. One victory unlocks another frustration and you press on despite it all. I have a hard time getting my hips under me which only fires me up to solve that problem. Keep your head in the game, if you have voluntary control, there is more in store for you. Personally, and from what I've read from mr.c/patd/alhavel (where ya been?) it's a marathon not a sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by hapahouli
    Awesome job to everyone trying to get back all that they can!

It is proven that exercise is very important to staying healthy too.

Alpen, at PW we use the same Total Gym. Great for upper and lower body.
    Where are you working out?
    I split the difference between UW and NextStepsNW, a PW style outfit. I highly recommend it to any WA/Seattle area people.

As mentioned before and to add to your assertion, walking isn't the only objective in rehab. There is a girl on a vent - 5 years out - breathing for the first time on her own for extended lengths as a result of training. Another guy took the doc's advice and did nothing the first 2 years out of c/6/7 injury. A year into the program he can stand unbraced with a walker and take struggled steps. I myself have been led through the motions of leg exercises, skeptical they do any good only to find new muscle awakenings and movement.
    Last edited by alpentalic; 09-21-2007 at 09:58 PM.

Yeah dog, good job. The TG is a beast and you can do so much on it. I've been using it for 2 years and am still adding exercises. Very good piece of equipment for many levels of recovery.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org