Thread: ArneHope: Reposting of lost message

ArneHope: Reposting of lost message

I was trying to join 3 threads from ArneHope into one thread to help with continuity, and really messed up and deleted the whole thread. I was able to save only the first page, which is below. So sorry!

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-18-2007 at 07:56 PM.

Screen shots

OK, this is what I was able to save (the first page only):

(KLD)

It was cached by the google engine

ArneHope vbmenu_register("postmenu_716431", true);

Acute phase SCI-19 year old brother
    Dear Dr Young and members or CareCure Community

My 19 year old brother was diagnosed with a complete T9/T10 transection on the 30th of August this year. This has been devastating to our whole family and to my brother as he was a professional rugby player, very strong and very big! It has been 11 days since the accident and everyday has been so hard to see him like that. I have so many questions, but I will start at the beginning. I have asked the doctor looking after him everything regarding his treatment, from when he first saw him. I even saw the MRI, which was shocking! Visually the spinal cord appears to be cut in two, but when the Neurosurgeon opened the spinal cord form the back the cord were still intact with nothing penetrating the cord, even the fluid and outer layers of the cord were intact. I have done some reading and it appears that the doctor did everything by the book. My brother was started on steroids within 8 hours of the injury. He had decompression -surgery and stabilization at the fracture level the following day at about 9 am. The MRI showed that T10 was shifted posteriorly and compressed the spinal cord at this level. One of the things that irritated me is that we have not yet been told what to expect, what will happen next, what is meant by his reflexes? is that a good thing or a bad thing? When the doctor pushes a pen on his toenail he pulls his legs up, but it appears like a reflex, I heard Babowski reflex somewhere? What is this, and what is the significance of this? Also his bladder and bowl function, will this return? I have read the article about the regeneration therapy for people with Thoracic spinal cord injuries, when will these drugs be available to the public healthcare systems? If it is what is it called and when do you normally start the treatment? Also, the prognosis for complete transections? What is expected from us as family and friends in this acute phase of the injury? How can we support him?

I think this is enough for now, but I have so many more!

Please forgive all the questions, but I really need some answers, from anyone please.

Kind Regards,
    Drean Gouws

ArneHope
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to ArneHope
    Find More Posts by ArneHope

Today, 04:47 PM IMHopeful vbmenu_register("postmenu_716438", true);

I am so sorry this has happened to your brother. It is still too early to determine what degree of paralysis your brother will have. If you have read through some of the threads on this site, you have read that doctors typically set the bar very low for recovery. I have learned over the last two years that the better the rehab, the more significant the recovery.

You mentioned that your brother was injured playing rugby. Is your brother in the U.S.? It would be helpful to know this, so others can recommend where to receive the best treatment.

IMHopeful
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to IMHopeful
    Send email to IMHopeful
    Find More Posts by IMHopeful

Today, 04:50 PM Hype62 vbmenu_register("postmenu_716443", true);

Sorry to hear about your brother's injury. It certainly is hard for the whole family. All I can say is try the best to support him and keep his spirits up. You are a great sister, as you are finding out all that you can of his injury. Finding this forum early on is a good thing, as I found this website couple years later after my injury, and missed alot of important infos early on. There is a ton of information and support here. Good luck to your brother and your family.
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Hype62
    Send email to Hype62
    Find More Posts by Hype62

Today, 05:01 PM ArneHope vbmenu_register("postmenu_716446", true);

Thank you
    Hi,

Thank you for your reply, any information is so welcome. My brother had his injury to his spinal cord during a car accident and not while playing rugby. I am based in the UK, but he is in South Africa. Does anyone know if the steriod therapy needs to be methylprednisolene or can it have another generic name?I know my brother was started on corticosteriods called dexamethasone within the 8 our timeframe given by the clinical research study. This can make quite a big difference in regards to recovery.

Thank you,
    Drean
    ArneHope
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to ArneHope
    Find More Posts by ArneHope

Today, 05:10 PM IMHopeful vbmenu_register("postmenu_716453", true);

Drean,

Will he be flown back to the UK soon?
    Is he currently receiving any type of physical therapy? Did he receive other injuries that would prevent him from doing so?

My son suffered a T12 injury and his treatment was very similar to your brother's. My son was flown to a facility closer to home when he was stable enough.

IMHopeful
    View Public Profile
    Send email to IMHopeful

Today, 05:11 PM Steven Edwards vbmenu_register("postmenu_716454", true);
    Administrator

Drean, methylprednisolone is meant to reduce swelling to limit secondary damage. Dexamethasone is an anti-inflammatory, so it may serve the same purpose.
    Send a private message to Steven Edwards
    Send email to Steven Edwards
    Visit Steven Edwards's homepage!
    Find More Posts by Steven Edwards

Today, 05:13 PM IMHopeful vbmenu_register("postmenu_716456", true);

The question about reflex....it's the Babinski reflex and here is a link .

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...rticlekey=7172

IMHopeful
    View Public Profile
    Send email to IMHopeful

Today, 05:56 PM SCI-Nurse vbmenu_register("postmenu_716483", true);

Welcome to our forums. Does your brother live in South Africa, or was he just visiting there? We have a couple of other members from South Africa who may be helpful if he plans to stay there.

It will be critical that he get to a specialty SCI rehabilitation program ASAP. Prevention of pressure ulcers is also critical at this phase, as even a small one can set him back. Family members can help the most at this point by being there, and acting as the patient's advocate until they can advocate for themselves. Finding him the best rehab is critical in this process.

I would also recommend reading these articles by Dr. Young:

Acute Spinal Cord Injury

Family and Spinal Cord Injury

Is he wearing a body brace? Is he out of bed yet?

Early return of reflexes is not a predictor of return. When did he get this reflex activity back? Have you asked about his ASIA classification and actual neurologic level of injury (not just the fracture level)? As Dr. Young would tell you, it is extremely rare to have a "complete transection" where the cord is cut through. Most people have injuries due to crush, bruise, swelling or restriction of blood flow. There actually may be some nerves still working, although they may not be detectable with traditional tests. Only time will tell if he gets return....and that means at least 2 years. This is true for bowel and bladder as well as other sensation and motor functions.

At his level of injury, even in worst case of no return, he should be totally independent in his own care, able to live alone, drive, work, and play a lot of sports. He may need to change his profession, but he certainly can go back to school for just about anything that interests him.

Please come back often and ask questions, and get your brother on-line as soon as you can as well.

(KLD)
    Daniel

Unfortunately that is not page #2 and page #3.

(KLD)

Hi Guys,

Sorry for causing you problems KLD! I must say this website is so informative and just reading through the postings makes me feel so much better regarding the injury my brother had, just to know that there is people out there who had to go through this before.

It has been 23 days since my brother had his accident, he is out of ICU now and is sitting up for 10 to 20 minutes without feeling dizzy! So as I gathered from the postings you guys made, it is such a good idea to keep a journal of all his accomplishments. Still my brother has no sensation, but he keeps telling me that he keeps feeling funny 'needles and pins' sensations in some parts of his legs, from his shinz to his toe in both legs, he feels this on a daily basis......Could this mean he is getting some sensation back? I sometimes wonder if this is not imaginary? How could we tell?He says it is very 'light' sensations. Also he says that if he presses on his upper legs his feet moves, also when his feet are touched my the nurses or my Dad his legs twists inward and outward at times. Is this a certain type of reflex movement and what is the significance of this.

He gets turned enough, only after I have made a big issue about this, I also told him to be adement to nursing staff to turn him regulary.

My Brother is due to go to rehab on the 25th of September, he had some complications that arised from the secondary injuries of his car accident, also he got his first bladder infection, but as I gathered this is now under control.

Thanks in advance for the answers, Also KLD can you pleas put me in contact with the other South African guys who got injured as I would like to ask them a few questions in regards to certain issues regarding future jobs possibilities and study possibilities

Regards,

Drean

You might want to post in the Community forums for the other South Africans. I will also try to track them down.

The muscle movement you describe is probably spasm, unless he can replicate it on damage without touching his legs or being touched.

The tingling may be the beginning of neuropathic pain. He should have another ASIA exam done to determine if he has any true sensory return. They should at least do this when he is admitted to rehab.

When he sits up are they putting compression hose with Ace bandages on top for the full length of his legs as well as having him wear an abdominal binder? This is usually necessary at first to combat orthostatic hypotension. The more time he spends sitting in the chair, the better this gets as well.

(KLD)