Thread: Cathirising

Cathirising

I cathirise every 2 hours to prevent to leak,is it bad for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan
    I cathirise every 2 hours to prevent to leak,is it bad for me?
    Was this schedule given to you by your doctor or did you just decide on every two hours for leakage sake? I know that I cath every four to five depending on my intake.

Becky,
    Chicago, IL
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

how much comes out at every cath? nighttime also? what's ur bladder capacity?

That seems excessive.
    Are you taking any anticholenergic meds?
    Which ones and how much?
    Have you seen a good neurologic urologist? What do they say?
    Have you had recent urodynamics?
    What was your leak point pressure and capacity according to this test?

It is rare that we cannot achieve a schedule of catheterizing every 4-6 hours if fluid intake is limited to 2-2.5 liters per day, caffeine is avoided, and the right meds are used. If it is then still a problem (and at least 1 year post injury) we would then consider bladder Botox injections.

(KLD)

I use ditrisitol tablets. 1 per day. my neurologist want to give me a urostomy bag on the side of my tummie but im not happy about it. he says suprepubic is not good.my bladder capasity is 400ml tested but after recent test they say its not so strong. i cant understand,sometimes only little urine comes out but i leak. other times i urinate about 700ml and no leaks.i dont know what to do....

Detrisitol is tolterodine tartrate, which is called Vesicare in the USA. We don't use it much as we find that we can usually get the results we need with Ditropan, or occasionally Detrol. Also many people actually do better with the regular vs. the extended release version. I suspect you are on extended release if you are only taking it once daily. Some people need to take extended release twice daily as well. It is one of many different anticholenergics. It is important to try different strengths and different types of anticholenergics for the symptoms you have, not just give up after trying one. Have you been on Ditropan (oxybutinin) or any other anticholenergic? Have you had any combination with other anticholenergics? Are you taking the regular or the extended release version? What strength?

Going to a urostomy is a drastic and alarming proposal, esp. for someone injured for less than a year, and for someone who has the potential to be able to do self intermittent cath at some point. This would be a last resort, and nothing we would ever recommend in the absence of bladder cancer or some other reason that the bladder could no longer be used. Botox injections might be an option once the oral drugs are exhausted, for example. Intravesical oxybutinin instillations should also be considered. An indwelling catheter is a non-destructive method (best if it were SP) that would not require the major surgery that an incontinent urinary ostomy would require. While it has the potential for complications, so does a urinary ostomy (cancer in the diversion can occur, and stones, and UTIs are common).

I think you need to find a different urologist who is more knowledgable about SCI bladder management, and who is willing to work with you over time to find something that works for you.

What were your bladder pressures when you had urodynamics? Have you had repeat urodynamics since you started on the Vesicare?

(KLD)